Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Product Activation Wizard will not start

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kerryman87

Kerryman87

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok so here's the story. I used the XP Home disc that came with my Mom's Dell to install on my new computer. Once it started up, of course it asked for the activation key. So I clicked on it to enter the product key, but it popped up and said my Windows was already activated instead of going to the usual menu where it asks "by phone, by internet, etc." Then the next time I started Windows it came up again, and again, and again, so I got frustrated with the fact that Windows was already activated but this freaking popup kept coming up and I wanted to get rid of it. So I downloaded some program that was supposed to get rid of the activation wizard from popping up. Well after running the program, the thing still popped up, yet I noticed when I clicked on it, instead of going to the page where it usually said "Windows is already activated," nothing happened. The balloon just went away. Well I was still pissed off because this thing was still popping up nonstop but I finally just gave up.

Well now it is coming back to haunt me. The new version of Windows Update requires that the Windows be activated to download updates. Thinking that would not be a problem for me, because when I used to click that activation reminder bubble, it told me Windows was already activated, I went ahead and tryed to check for updates. Yet the Windows Update page tells me my copy of Windows isn't actually activated! Now, I have a copy of XP Pro as well, and I can change the key on here to that one, but when I tried the steps on another site to change the product key (edit that one file in registry and then type c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe /a in the Run box) nothing comes up when I type that in the Run box! It seems like the msoobe file is corrupt or something and I don't know what to do! All I want is for 1) That annoying bubble popup to go away, and 2) To be able to download Windows Updates. How can I change my key to my legit XP Pro one though if I cant access the Product Key Activation program????? PLEASE HELP :tazz:

Edited by Kerryman87, 04 August 2005 - 12:54 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
1) You are currently using a "pirated" copy of windows on your machine.
2) You cannot use a key from xp pro to reg/activate xp home
3) Your support here is ended because Geeks to Go doesn't support/condone pirated software.

However, if your XP pro disc is "legit", then the only option you have "legally" is to wipe your machine and install the legit copy. Then, you may get some help here for windows update.

regards,
makai

Kerryman87

Kerryman87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay listen up, you obviously didn't read what I said. It is NOT a pirated copy, what it is is the reinstall disc that gets shipped with a computer. My Mom has a Dell computer and it came with an XP Home reboot disc just like all Dell computers do. That is the disc I used on this computer. So now would you like to help me? If you would like proof I can take a picture of myself holding the disc. Don't just go accusing me of having pirated software, I would never do anything like that.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
MS doesn't allow you to install Windows on 2 machines without a license to do so. You cannot use mom's cd because she is using it on her Dell already. Makai told you what to do- if you do have a legit copy of XP Pro, you need to reformat, install it and activate it through regular procedures. Then MS Update will work just fine.

Johanna