Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore Always Fails XP

• Please log in to reply

TomTomTom

TomTomTom

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've been trying to do some system restores, and it appears to work fine at first and allows me to select a date in the calendar in bold. Then it reboots. When it comes back up it says that the Restore has failed and no changes were made to my computer system.
I thought maybe I had selected a date that was too far back or something, so I tried again and again with different dates, and still each time I get my restore denied.
I first tried Restore because my PC was not finding my CDW drive one day, and it had always found it in the past. I finally gave up on the CDW, but now I wish to restore because of some malware, and I have posted that issue in another forum.
Anything I can try to get a restore to work? Thank you so much.

Advertisements

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
i had this problem a while back, tired all the restore dates but the same message comes up, i feel you

i was told to do all sort of checks and the like but no fix and no problems were found.

i know you probably dont want to hear this but backup any personal data stored on pc and do a full factory restore, it will work, it did for me, or you can wait a little longer and check back here for others to reply.

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
sorry double post

Edited by Stasiek, 04 August 2005 - 01:42 AM.

mommabear

mommabear

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How bad is the malware problem? I guess what I mean is... is your system clean now but you just wanted to make sure by going back to a previous restore point? If you can get your system cleaned up and working again, then you might be able to avoid doing a reinstall or complete repair by just turning off system restore. That will delete all those points you can't use anyway. Then turn System Restore back on and see if it works properly again.

To fix the drive recognition problem may only involve reinstalling the drivers for it.