Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

radeon 9200 changed all my settings

• Please log in to reply

kurtsm

kurtsm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
WOW!! I just installed a gigabyte radeon 9200 128MB graphics card in my computer. Now everything has changed. When I restart my computer, I get an error message saying that one of my discs needs to be checked, that C: is running on NTFS. After it checks the discs, nothing seems to have changed, and I get the same message when I restart each time.
Also, the video card seems to have installed fine, and I think it is running correctly, except it has set my video resolution to 800X600. I was running it at 1024X780 with my integrated video before with no problems. My motherboard is an ECS PM800-M2 (piece of junk, I think!!). Also, I am having problems connecting to my e-mail account through my university. Each time I try, I get the login page, but when I enter my login codes, the message screen appears for a fraction of a second, then I get a "page cannot be displayed" message. One last thing. I tried to uninstall my Unichrome II graphics display drivers and utilities, and it won't do it. It will tell me that I have to restart my computer to complete uninstall, but when the computer restarts, I get a message that it can't be uninstalled. The installation procedure was simple enough, but now everything is screwed all up. I didn't touch anything inside except plugging in the card. That's it.
Please help.

Kurtis :D :mad: :D <_<

Advertisements

kurtsm

kurtsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I forgot one thing. When I try to change the screen resolution, the computer re-starts by itself, and the resolution remains at 800X600.
Kurtis
<_<

kurtsm

kurtsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Allright. When I try to adjust resolution, the system restarts itself. I then get a message during startup that windows cannot start itself, it is missing some system32 file, I couldn't write fast enough to get the whole name. Also, my computer is running really slow right now. When I try to open or close programs, they take forever. What is going on? I can't imagine that an integrated graphics card can outperform this 128MB radeon!?!

Kurtis
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try using the Driver Cleaner to remove all existing video drivers: http://www.drivercleaner.net/

The reinstall the latest driver for your video card from here: http://www.ati.com/s...x=17&submit.y=8

kurtsm

kurtsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi-
The drivercleaner page would not open. That has been happening alot since I installed the video card. When explorer tried, I got a page cannot be displayed message. So then I tried to download the driver from ati, but after the download, when I tried to install, I got an error message telling me that the file could not be installed because of a file corruption.

ARRRGG!! <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

kurtsm

kurtsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi-
I fixed it. I just did a new clean install of windows. Hopefully I dont have to do this each time I upgrade my componentry. I still have to replace my hard drive and my motherboard. I was sold a computer on ebay that paired a P4 3.2G processor, 512 ram with an 80G hard drive operating at 5400 rpm (even though he listed it as 7200). Completely ridiculous. <_<

Thanks,
Kurtis

Julio

Julio

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
I would ask him to refund some of my money or supply me with a 7200RPM drive, preferrably, the latter.

Edited by Julio, 12 December 2004 - 09:54 AM.