Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Explorer

• Please log in to reply

fezokane

fezokane

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi
Strange problem
My laptop has been running quite slowly for a few days now. I have run a defrag and cleanup on the disks and this has helped quite a bit.

But when I right click on the Start button, I get a freeze along the task bar, or if I right click on an item selected in Windows Explorer, Explorer hangs.

Also, if I try to delete something through Windows Explorer, it hangs, and if I select an object in Explorer and try to access the File drop down menu item, it hangs.

When Explorer hangs, I have to do an 'End Program', and restart the application, but not the OS.

I've followed instructions in your 'Do you suspect a malware infection?' posting which is excellent. But has not revealed anything untoward.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Many thanks in advance

P

Advertisements