Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton AntiVirus Help

• Please log in to reply

Jezza91

Jezza91

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, im kinda good when it comes to computers, but this problem has had me goin for a while. so i finally came to ask the experts. when i try to install Norton AntiVirus 2005 i start to instal it when half way through it it comes up saying something like "Norton AntiVirus 2005 could not instal properly, would you like to restart or cancel instalation?" now i've tried it on administrator, made a new acount, installed and reinstalled over and over again and ive just about had it. If you can help me it would realy greatful :tazz:

JEZZA

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
First things first - did you first make sure that your computer was completely free of all remaining Norton components before attempting a reinstall? Many programs have a tendency to simply leave the successfully-installed portions of their software on a user's system, even after the installation process bombed. For example - Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6, which I had some serious trouble with when I first tried installing it. Yes, I did eventually managed to acquire the program proper, but that's besides the point.

For a detailed guide as to how to ensure that Norton has been completely erased from your machine, go here.

Once you are a hundred percent sure that there are no leftovers of your failed installation of Norton AntiVirus 2005 left on your computer, do a fresh reinstall. If it still conks up - well, Norton might work just splendid on my PC, but it does have a pretty notorious reputation amongst other users. System crashes, uber-slow scanning times, severe system slow-downs, that sort of thing, yeah. For that reason, you might want to try out a different anti-virus program instead. There are plenty of excellent free programs out there right now that work fantastic for this sort of thing, namely Avast Home Edition and the highly-acclaimed AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition.

Jezza91

Jezza91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so is symnatec update apart of norton? i also think its a virus stopping me from installing, but i cant seem to find the virus.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try another anti virus, avast is free and is actually better than norton, i use its start up scanner because while norton is ok for usually catching things before they get on your system when you do get a virus it is useless.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

so is symnatec update apart of norton?

Yes, Symantec Update is part of the Norton AntiVirus 2005 application.

i also think its a virus stopping me from installing, but i cant seem to find the virus.

If you believe that it is a virus that's interfering with the installation process, go here for a detailed list of instructions on how to go about cleaning up your system of this infection.

Jezza91

Jezza91

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ill try that antivirus program, but there is no way i can instal norton in safe mode is there?