Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Page File

• Please log in to reply

azza1

azza1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have deleted the pagefile after dissabling pagefiling and rebooting i am just intrested in finding out why task manager is still showing pagefile usage when it is not their. :tazz:

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Xp switches it back on, if ur RAM is less than 512MB.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Some software looks for a pagefile, and XP needs one to perform efficiently. Why would you want to delete your pagefile? DA is right, XP will create a new one anyway.

Johanna

adgo82

adgo82

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I set my page file to the minimum of 2Mb and maximum of 4MB. I rebooted my PC and the page file was still there. I have 990MB of RAM installed on my computer. Why is XP re creating the page file?
Any suggestions?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Because u did'nt Turn off paging completely. Make the size of pagefile smaller and and then manually deleting it, will not turn-off paging.
Follow the steps below:
Right Click on My Computer -> Select Properties from the menu.
Select the Advanced Tab.
Under Performance, click on Settings button.
Select the Advanced Tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click Change.

Now, for the partition(s) where the pagefile is present, choose the No page file option and click on Set button (very important).
Click Ok. U might be prompted to reboot.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
There is no reason to disable the Pagefile Windows VMM requires it.

adgo82

adgo82

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am just trying to make it smaller, and I am being unsuccesfull.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Windows will not let you because it is a required feature. There is no reason to make it smaller, unless you want to reduce performance. Its proper size needs to be 1.5x the amount of system RAM you have. Even with large amounts of System RAM, windows will still use the page file, this is by design.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Not only will Windows look for it, but lots of popular software will, too. Set it at 1.5X the physical memory you have installed, and forget it. Leave it on the C drive. XP works differently than previous versions of Windows, and that might account for the confusion.

Johanna