Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard Problem...

• Please log in to reply

blister

blister

• Pip
  • 2 posts
yesterday when I turned my pc, everything seemed normal till it booted to xp. my keyboard then froze, but my mouse is still working. after restarting, it booted again as normal but aftera few seconds, both the keyboard and the mouse froze. i hit the reset button and had the exact same mouse & keyboard freezing. i had this idea of testing if its the keyboard and mouse freezing and not the OS, so i tried to open and close my dvd rom and i saw a disc image beside the cursor. i conclude that it isnt the OS freezing but only the two peripherals. I tried a different keyboard/mouse and it has the same problem. So I tried to go into the BIOS by hitting delete in the boot up. but it didnt go through. after trying a couple of times, it still didnt go through so i checked the ports and everything was in place, both are attached securely. after about 10 attempts at trying to get into the BIOS, it finally went through but the keyboard was "lagged" and froze several times. So the keyboard problem isnt an XP OS issue... Please help me. sorry for the long post. I wanted to make things as clear as possible.

PS
ive tried to run the pc w the keyboard unplugged and the mouse worked fine, even tried browsing the net, played a couple of games, no prob at all. Now I managed to get into the BIOS, which took me a very long time (patience is a virtue) and loaded BIOS defaults, which seemed to cure the problem at first but every now and then, even while im typing this, the keyboard seems to "restart" sometimes it freezes then all 3 lights (scrool, num, caps lock) lights up simultaneously and its fixed, this happens every once in a while. im wondrin if this is a motherboard problem... hope it isnt... but i would really like to get to the bottom of this... help me fellow geeks :tazz:

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Try a different keyboard, if it happens with that then the mainboard is most likely defective.

blister

blister

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Try a different keyboard, if it happens with that then the mainboard is most likely defective.

View Post

I clearly said that I have already changed the keyboard...

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Keyboard Problems . Seem Hardware related
Date: 4th AUG- 2005 Poster blister

Can you navigate to the [HARDWARE RESOURCES FOLDER] > [IRQ] Folder,
and report the IRQ for Keyboard & Mouse?

There are several Posts with similar: Keyboard Problems . . . trying to find a common piece of data? Kind of hard to do much without a keyboard . . . but if you typed thyat long post with this problem, maybe we can piece something together????

They should be 1 &12 .

Also if you can navigate to [CONFLICTS & SHARING] and see if anything is using IRQ 1 or 12????

Just off hand what or how would describe the HEAT ENVIORMENT in & around your computer. . . and did this just happen during a hotter time???

I am thinking you may be losing clock data for keyboard. . . .if we can establish a common rise in temp . . .Probably some of the other POSTERS are reading this.

I will post on this on their Posts after getting your results.
You seem to have the patience!
Jack123

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
If your keyboard is not working right going into or in the BIOS, I would still try another keyboard (if you have one available) even though you have tried another one. Make sure to do this from a cold boot. Then try to go into the BIOS again. Try it with only the keyboard and no mouse and nothing in the USB ports. If you are still having problems the motherboard is most likely defective.

What make and model is your motherboard?