Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange Norton SmartSweep logs

• Please log in to reply

littlenemo

littlenemo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently had occasion to look at the installation logs which SmartSweep (a Norton SystemWorks CleanSweep app) generated for a number of applications which I was considering uninstalling. I was somewhat disturbed by what I saw. There appears to be very many 'files added' during the installations that have nothing at all to do with the installed application--large numbers of 'cookies' and 'temporary internet files' totally unrelated to the installed application, many of which were on my system long before the installation took place. There are also files from my C:\Windows\Recent documents list and files from Microsoft Office Search Services\Indexing Services activities. But more importantly, there are files and folders from other applications, including some of the application executables included in the 'files added' list of the log. In one application I looked at for example, out of 327 files listed as 'added' only 11 appear to belong to the installed application. If these logs are an accurate guide to what files will be deleted if I use the CleanSweep uninstall feature, I'm in deep trouble. Has anybody out there encountered this problem before? I realize this may not be the appropriate forum, but I'm not sure what may have caused this, and I'm hoping that you security-conscious types may have some useful advice.

Advertisements