Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Determine if someone tried to login to windows

• Please log in to reply

codecraig

codecraig

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Using Win XP Pro is there a way to determine if someone tried to login to windows? For example if the PC is running and is at the login screen...and someone attempts to login but fails (or even succeeds)..is there a way to find out?

thanks

Advertisements

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I think the Windows Event Viewer is what you are looking for :tazz:

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
perhaps...but I don't see an easy way of finding login information, do you know where to find it?

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
nevermind, I found what I needed:

Keeping a record of windows user login attempts

....if you visit that look and look at the fourth post you'll see instructions on how to enable logon/logoff auditing for win xp and win 2000.

then once you enable it, you can go to the Event Viewer / Security Events and see if someone tried to logon.

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I think it was something like that in the Microsoft site also:

Under Event Log Types:

Security log

The security log records events such as valid and invalid logon attempts, as well as events related to resource use, such as the creating, opening, or deleting of files. For example, when logon auditing is enabled, an event is recorded in the security log each time a user attempts to log on to the computer. You must be logged on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group in order to turn on, use, and specify which events are recorded in the security log.

But your link is better :tazz:

Glad you found it and resolved your problem.