Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting Outlook Express to Send e-mail

• Please log in to reply

PalmyFolch

PalmyFolch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I use Outlook Express to retrieve my hotmail e-mail. Seems that everything was working well until a service pack 2 was automatically installed in my computer. Now, I can not send e-mail out, nor I am able to access Verizon's e-mail. Although I am able to get to the Web sites. I continue to get the following message: "The server does not support the required HTTP methods. Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn....il/httpmail.asp' Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Method Not Allowed', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC35" I checked with Norton and all settings are fine. However, Norton decided to have me remove their program to see if they were the problem. We attempted to go to their Web site to remove their icon from the task bar and we could not connect. Although we could navigate through other pages. So they told me to contact Microsoft or Dell. Neither one of which was of good help.

However, I spent all yesterday reading from Microsoft and Dell Support anything to do with the Service Pack 2 and Windows XP and believe there is a conflict between the security settings from Norton and Windows. One of the recommendations was to ensure that any updates needed from Dell are installed prior to installing the Service Pack 2. Since the SP2 was already installed I checked anyway and found that the nVidia drivers had an upgrade that had not been installed. I attempted to install it and mid installation I received a message that the software had not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP. I had the option to stop the installation so I did. To my surprise the software did install itself and shows up on the Control Panel. Another recommendation was to turn Windows Firewall Off. So I did. I also Scanned the C:\Drive and Defragmented it. Ran Ad-Aware, obtained the latest Live Updates from Norton and ran the virus check and re-booted. Things are still the same. Now when I tried to re-install Norton I got two error messages and could not load the software. Before I call Norton again, I though that one of you 'techies' may have come across this problem and knew how to solve it.

Please help me. I promise I will get out of using Hotmail as my e-mail provider. I believe they are the Genesis of my computer problem.

Palmy in distress!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hotmail moved to subscription for accessing it with another e-mail client

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Microsoft Ends Hotmail's Free Outlook/Outlook Express Access

Murray

PalmyFolch

PalmyFolch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Although Hotmail moved to subscription, they have allowed those clients that already had their mail being sent to Outlook or Outlook Express to continue doing so. However, new accounts are not allowed. This information comes from one of their staff. I was doing OK until that service pack 2 was installed in the computer. I do intend to change Hotmail to Verizon, whom I also have access to e-mail since they are my Internet provider.

The situation is worse. Today, my computer is very slow.

Thanks for your input.

Ean

Ean

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I know this is a bit later than these posts, but this same issue still occurs at times. It is not related to SP2 or the other things the posters have so far discussed. My hotmail email is fully enabled to use Outlook Express (OE) so it is not about the fact of MS charging for OE access to hotmail.

It only happens "sometimes" when sending email from OE. It doesn't happen ALL the time, which gives one the idea that there must be some setting or condition, etc. that would easily resolve it. And so I hoped someone with more knowlege and experience than I might have figured it out. I've been trying different things, and so far it does NOT seem to occur when sending a NEW message, but only when replying to certain ones. But it doesn't look to be consistant even when replying to the same message over and over again.

And I found the message send that fails, WILL send if I go and do the "synch account" button. So somehow it seems to relate to the immediate sending of email from OE.

Anyone know more?

Ean

novella

novella

• Pip
  • 1 posts
An even later post, but I'm here because I had the same problem, so I figured someone might come after me...

I found out the answer is cookies. They must be enabled in Internet Explorer for Outlook Express to be able to send.

That's why it's an "intermittent" problem, because some people change those settings on occasion.
If cookies are already enabled and it still doesn't work, the cookie you need might be in your blocked list.
I usually use Firefox, so I didn't think of cookies at first, but I had recently tweaked some things in IE, so I checked there and sure enough cookies were disabled. Enabled them and everything's back to normal.