Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Firewall Disabled

• Please log in to reply

stupot

stupot

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've been removing various viruses etc following advice around these fora. However one problem I'm left with is the inability to set Windows Firewall. The system says that Security Centre could not turn on the firewall. I've also tried doing it manually through Control Panel and have the same problem. What should I try next?

I've also got problems installing some software that's been recommended on this site. Once I've downloaded onto the same machine with this fire wall problem and then try to install the downloaded exe doesn't run. There are no erro messages either.

Thanks

Edited by stupot, 04 August 2005 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Don't beat yourself up over that one, use a third party firewall which will monitor incoming and outgoing data, XP only blocks incoming data, probably figuring that if it doesn't let anything bad on, then there cannot be anything bad to go from the PC

Zone Alarm is good though you can also look at others

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

stupot

stupot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Keith thanks for that. I've downloaded the ZoneLabs product and will try.
Cheers.