Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add/Remove Programs does not start

• Please log in to reply

segesman

segesman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: I have a new installation on a system that I am now having issues with IE & Add/Remove Programs not working. I just installed updates from windows Update. THis makes me think that I need to uninstall the latest updates. I cannot get into Windows Update to see what's been installed, etc.

Add & Remove Programs starts to open and then it goes away.

Edited by segesman, 04 August 2005 - 12:46 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what method did you use to do the install?

segesman

segesman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed WIN 2000 SERVER using the cd. Windows updates were done through auto install, advanced version. (I wanted to see what was getting installed.)

I installed everything.

We went to cmd prompt and used sfc /scannow to get to an earlier screen.

After doing this I can open add/remove programs but all I can see are the icons on the left. THere are no file names showing.

THere were a few updates showing so I went ahead and installed them hoping it would fix the problem. It did not. I am back to the problem of not being able to open add/remove programs again. THis is a IE problem. I am not certain what the issue is. It is a viscious circle.

Edited by segesman, 04 August 2005 - 02:07 PM.

segesman

segesman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i am now tryoing to reinstall SP4. To see if that would work.