Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Memory Problems

• Please log in to reply

Angelfann9961

Angelfann9961

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello. I was hoping someone out there may have the key to fix my problems. I have an MSI GeForce K7N2 Delta Motherboard running AMD 2800+. I set out to replace my 2 sticks of 512 pc2100 ram with some PC3200 ram. I purchased two 1GB Advance Modules sticks of PC3200 ram 400mhz cl3 ram (128mx64 ddr), and according to MSI website it is compatable with PC3200 ram. After intallation, making sure it is seated properly, I go to reboot and the computer tries to post, I hear the hard drive spinning, my drives light up for a second, and then nothing. It acts as if my monitor isnt plugged in and sits there with the HDD light on solid. I put my old ram in and its fine.

I do know this motherboard will not support registered memory. Can someone tell me exactly what that is and how do I know if the ram I have is registered or not. Also, the memory is cl3, however my bios is still set at my old rams settings. I believe auto, but was wondering if I needed to change any settings in the bios. I have tried just one by itself and the two together using Bank1/3 and Bank 2/3 as the manufacturers website mentions. I have even upgraded my bios to the newest bios release.

Im going crazy here, and am running out of ideas. I was hoping you had some information that can help me know if there is a compatability problem here. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.crucial.com/ <--- go there and see exactly what ram you can use with your board

Angelfann9961

Angelfann9961

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I tried that and it told me what I already know about my system. The only thing I really am confused about is whether my ram is "registered" or if it is "buffered" or "unbuffered ram". The ram that I have in there now is unbuffered according to the diagnostic, and the diagnostic recommends that I upgrade to PC3200 as well. I guess my question is, how can I tell if the 2 1GB sticks of PC3200 ram that I have here are registered or unbufferred? Thanks to all for helping out.

Angelfann9961

Angelfann9961

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just a follow up on this. Maybe this can help someone who encounters the same problem. The ram that I have is made by Advance Modules. They are 1 GB sticks, non ecc and non buffered from what I have been told. It seems that this ram is only compatable with VIA and SIS chipsets. Does this sound right to anyone? My motherboard has a nvidia Gforce chipset. Sadly, this is the only thing I can think of as being my problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Bad thing is I really like this board, has many options if I want to OC down the line. Anyone know of an economical via or sis board that is comparable? Thanks again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it would probably be easier to just trade the ram out

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The ram should be compatible with the board have you tried it with a single stick of the new ram and running memtest on each stick seperately also try reinstalling windows xp making sure you get sp2 preferably an instilation disc with it on allready. Registered ram is required only for cpus like the opteron range designed for server use cant remeber way but un buffered un registered memory is the proper type to use with yuor chipset as far as i know.

Angelfann9961

Angelfann9961

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Just an update to those who may be curious. I was contacted today by Advance Modules (manufacturer of my ram). This is what they told me...

"Your 1GB x4 modules have compatibility issues with the board (nVidia nForce2 chipset).

Your new m/b options: Asrock KV7T6 (may be compatible) and Asus A7V8X (not-compatible).

Although Asus is using a compatible VIA-chipset, they didn't support any 1GB using x4 through BIOS firmware.

For Asrock, the chipset used is compatible, but I'm just concern that it's not supported with its BIOS (same as what happened to Asus' boards)."

Would anyone know of some different motherboards out there that would support any 1GB PC3200 stick of ram using x4 through the bios firmware? I can honestly say I have no clue as to what this means. Thanks again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how much did you spend on this ram?....wouldn't it just be easier to get ram that is compatible with your motherboard?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The manufacturer would appear to be a local company that makes generic ram trying to up there business. In future you should purchase from established reputable suppliers like corsair, gell, kingston, ocz, patriot... because those modules 'should' have been compatible if the were normal ddr400 modules.