Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop fan

• Please log in to reply

dob

dob

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
ive got a packard bell easy one silver, the fan kicks in after about 10-15 mins and then doesnt go off. My last laptop was the same as this and although the fan was much louder than this one, it would only come on for a bit and then go off when it had cooled down. This fan spins at a medium speed all of the time. Is the cpu at risk of burning out? should i take the cpu and/or fan from my old laptop, as that only failed due to a dodgy bios update so i know it works, but it did still come on more than i think it should.

The air coming out of the fan's vent at the back is warm, its not boiling but still quite hot, is it dangerous?
any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If the fan is working, it is doing its job which is cooling your computer. I have two AMD systems, both have Gigibyte motherobards (not the same model mb) and Gigabyte's Easy Tune reads the CPU temperature 20 degrees higher on one. It is within specs and working, just runs hotter so I don't worry about it. My advice, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by austin_o, 09 August 2005 - 07:30 AM.

dob

dob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
well i did try and fix it and now its broke! the cpu temp got quite hot so didnt want to risk damaging the motherboard if it burnt out, but as i pulled the old one out i must have snapped one of the tiny connectors inside the socket off (i.e. where each pin has its own connector on the motherboard socket - one of them!) now the laptop doesnt work at all wont even boot to bios, the hard disk spins and thats it cant even eject the cd drive or anything!
i tried shoving in some tin foil to make the connection but didnt work, think im gonna wait a while until i buy another laptop and split this one on ebay im wasting too much money on computers at the moment

anybody know a rough price id get for the screen in all of the outer casing etc? its a packard bell easyone silver 14" lcd ive heard there pretty standard and will fit most laptops and go for quite a bit, is this right or not?