Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modify system settings in VBScript

• Please log in to reply

jweinraub

jweinraub

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am trying to make a VBScript here in my office that can be used to automate certain tasks on our laptops.

Mainly, I want the script to change the IP to a static IP (10.1.1.1 for this example) and mask to 255.255.0.0.

if a wireless adapter exists, disable it.

change the system wallpaper (for all users) too myWallpaper.bmp

additionally, if possible, check if the Firewall is enabled. If it is, advise user toi disable it (or actually turn it off).

and check if a certain program exists (program files\myapp\foobar.exe). if it does, figure out hte version number. then i can do additional steps if its less than a version, or if non existent, advise user.

(the user in this case is an administrator that sets up the laptops for field work).

thanks a bunch

Advertisements

inoxx.net

inoxx.net

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't think plain VBScript is the right thing to use.

jweinraub

jweinraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
yea i quickly gave up on that idea. i am now trying to do it in C#....i can get figure out which wallpaper is showing, the hostname, and ip. i can not get net mask, or to show if the IP is Static or set by DHCP.

nor do i know how to change the networking stuff, changing wallpaper i reckon isnt too difficult.

and checking for version number i got figured out too.

my laptop at work doesnt have the visual studio, but my desktop does, and that is home :-)

stu_design

stu_design

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
you could do it in vb....
but watver serves u fancy

jweinraub

jweinraub

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
vb.net for vb6? i lost my vb6 disc, but on .net isnt it just the same thing more or less? i tend to prefer case - sensitivity and brackets when i code, but syntax for the things i need to do is about the same. i just cant figure out how to get the subnet mask and determine if it is DHCP/or static, or even change it for that matter (not user supplied program will issue what i need).

Guest_Mosaic1_*

Guest_Mosaic1_*
Have you looked at the iphlpapi.dll ?

check this site for VB:
http://www.andreavb....topic_3462.html