Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random Crashing.

• Please log in to reply

Twiguru

Twiguru

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I had my processor die a few days ago. I think it was a heat issue, my case always seems stupidly hot despite 3 fans and a big cpu sink and fan. Unfortunatly it took the motherboard with it.

Have now put an older motherboard in and taken the processor out of the home pc. The system works although a little slow due to the tempory processor being an xp 1500+.

The main issue is a random crash which either happens around the time just after telling it to start windows normally, loading xp or any time randomly during general running. There is no obvious pattern to it.

My thought is either the motherboard is just old and combined with a slow cpu its just too much to cope with. Or its overheating still.

Im heading out to get a new cpu tomorrow and need to know whether I need a new motherboard or a aluminium case as well. Or wether I have the wrong end of the stick.

Would much appreciate any help or feedback.
Thanks,
Alex.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if you just stuck a new mobo and cpu in your case then the windows installation wont be configured properly and will have the wrong drivers. Also it may be useful to find out exactly what was wrong with the last system. What were the temps for example. And a high temperature wouldnt have caused the motherboard and cpu to die, the cpu would have shut down before it reached a critical temp it sounds like a short and in thats case it was either you frying it with static or the power system.

Twiguru

Twiguru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
mmm well the system tended to run at around 70deg C with fans working full blast. It wasnt uncommon for the cpu to shut down when gaming but for general use it was fine. The mobo and cpu had about 3 years of solid use running as much as they would take. so i didnt think twice about them when they broke.

before replacing the cpu and mobo the pc used to turn on with no monitor output and the dignostic lights on the msi board showing a cpu error.

so i tried a different cpu- no change. different board got it going. so ran through the bios setup, it seemed ok. After a few more attempts at running it, it seems to run ok for about a half hour then freeze. After that it struggles to restart until it gets a sucessful boot. Then runs ffine for another half hour or so. The board i had taken out of another pc after its cpu packed in.

could have been a static thing. the case did sometimes carry charge but that stopped when i put a new psu in it.

So yea erm... thats about all I know.