Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secondary IDE Channel Problem

• Please log in to reply

Enema Weapon

Enema Weapon

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just purchased a DVD burner. To install it i had to buy another IDE cable since my primary one was already connected to my HDD and cd rom drive. The second one i connected to the mobo right beside the primary IDE cable and plugged the other end into the burner. When i turn on the computer i get this though:

http://img333.images...untitled4sp.jpg

I know the second IDE channel works because it's recognized in my BIOS. The dvd burner is master of the secondary IDE channel. But in my OS i have that problem and no DVD burner is recognized (probably because they won't let me install the secondary IDE channel?)

Can anyone help me with my problem?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try your hard drive on the second IDE channel and the dvd and cd drive as primary and master on the primary ide channel.

Enema Weapon

Enema Weapon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is removing the IDE cable from my HDD safe? I was under the impression that messing with anything would erase it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No of course you can remove it, store it do what you want with it once the data is on it is on unless it is erased by another computer. Or you give it a touch of the old static but the same goes for the entire pc on the static front.
You have to be careful when handling them they are relatively fragile although modern ones are more sturdy than they used to be. Jumpers can cause problems if you accidently set the jumpers to clip the drive size, but on your question it is perfectly safe to remove the IDE cable, swap the cables swap the ports whatever it is safe. Sometimes these problems can be caused by a duff IDE cable as well another factor to think on.

Enema Weapon

Enema Weapon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Warriorscot, I connected the HDD to the primary by itself so its master, then the cd drive and dvd burner to the secondary, then went into windows and it let me install the secondary IDE controller drivers. So you were right but i don't see the problem why does this work now?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You are asking me, i have no idea, you just always have the disc drives on one channel and the HDDs on the other. Its one of those things.