Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows is in a "logging in" loop

• Please log in to reply

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey everybody. I'm running Windows XP (pretty sure its home edition) Not sure what exactly happened, but I had restarted my pc and when windows loads (which it now does very slowly) it apparently gets caught in what appears to be a loop. it'll work for about 2 seconds, and then the taskbar and desktop icons will dissappear then come back. it makes it very difficult to do anything at all. Rebooting in safe mode doesn't work either. Please help!

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Did you recently just install SP2?

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No. I've had it for a while.

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Try rebooting in safe mode again. Press F8 during startup and selecting safe mode. If that does not work, then try a repair install of XP otherwise you will have to reinstall.

Reptile_master

Reptile_master

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok. After fuming over this for a couple of hours, my dad reminded me that part of my HD was partitioned off to serve as a system restore. I used it for a non-destructive system restore, and so far it seems to have worked. Sorry for having wasted your guys' time.