Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer not booting

• Please log in to reply

Scavar

Scavar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright. So sometime yesterday a foolish friend of mine was on my computer and got some crazy spyware. I used a million and one different Spyware/Adware removing programs, and though all of them would find some of the Spyware/Adware it couldnt get rid of them. I eventually got tired of scanning and erasing and scanning, and tried to remove the garbage manually. All I had removed was some Reg stuff for one of the Spyware things, Aurora I belive it was called.

After a reboot of the system, Explorer would simply not load. I can technically use my computer, by bringing up the Task Manager, and using Run Program, but The Desktop, Taskbar, and Explorer just dont work.

If I try and Run Explorer, it just allows me to go through folders, without explorer technically being up and running. Ive got no idea if it was something I did, somethingthe Spyware/Adware did, or whatever, im just trying to resolve, and asking for any suggestions.

Id rather not Format and reinstall Windows XP, so please give me any suggestions you have before I resort to that. Thanks.

By the way, im using the PC im talking about to write this.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The problem with your situation is that you really don't know if your machine is completely clean now... given all the work you did.

It also makes no sense to use system restore because you don't know when you picked up Aurora and restoring might just bring it back.

Have you run chkdsk to see if windows can fix itself? Start/run... type chkdsk /f

Or... if you would like to try repairing windows... go HERE and follow the tutorial.

makai

Scavar

Scavar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help.

In the end it turned out that formatting just seemed to be the easiest route. Even if I could restore, which I couldnt really, your right, I didnt know when I picked it up.

And repairing windows, which I did just to learn, didnt take as long as I thought it would. Didnt help in the end because I still had Aurora and it wouldnt go away.

So I just formatted. Thanks for the info though!