Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard doesn't function with XP

• Please log in to reply

redleaf

redleaf

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
:tazz: It's been 2 weeks now. I even bought a new keyboard guaranteed to be compliant with XP, but I have the same problem as the old keyboard. I checked the pins, and they look fine, and the new keyboard works fine with ME, anyway.

I have a dual boot system right now. When I boot up with ME there's no problem with the keyboard. But when I boot up with XP, I cannot get either of my keyboards to work on it. They don't type anything at all.

The mouse works perfectly, unlike some other complaints I read.

I read a few threads where updates were suspected for the problem. Just after I installed XP, it performed an automatic update. Usually I like to see what's being downloaded, but this time, it started downloading and installing stuff without giving me the option of seeing it first. Neither could I pause or stop the downloads.

Is there a way that I can find out if the updates caused this problem? Can those updates be removed? I have no Restore point for backup as it happened on the first bootup of XP.

I am about to try reformatting and re-installing XP on that drive.

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Just a guess but it sounds like you system might have been hit with an internet worm. If it was a clean install of XP pre-SP2 and you have broadband (cable or DSL) then it takes less then 15 minutes for an unpatched machine to be compromised. I would try this:

1. Reinstall XP with you modem turned off.
2. After install IMMEDIATELY enable the XP firewall: Instructions

redleaf

redleaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you GeneralAres. I will try that this evening and let you know ... :tazz:

redleaf

redleaf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts