Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ad-Aware causing pop-ups? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Timbydude

Timbydude

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Now I don't really mean that Ad-Aware is causing my computer to have pop-ups. On the contrary, it's been nothing but help for me...until recently. I have posted other times on this forum about how to remove Elitum.EliteBar without HijackThis as the person in charge of the computer will not allow any software to be downloaded. Because of this, I still have Elitum.EliteBar and Download.Trojan on my computer, but after a while, the annoying pop-ups from Elitum stopped until I ran Ad-Aware. At first, I thought that Ad-Aware couldn't have done that. I restarted and no pop-ups anymore. And then I just got curious. I ran it again and the same thing happened. Can you please explain this and a few other questions?

1) Did Download.Trojan download Elitum or vice versa?

2)Is the method in http://securityrespo...oad.trojan.html a legitimate way to remove Download.Trojan?

3)Is Elitum.EliteBar solely a pop-up threat or can it track credit card numbers, passwords, key strokes, etc?

4) Would disabling System Restore allow me to delete Elitum using Spybot?

5) Could Ad-Aware really be doing this?

Thanks a lot for your time. I appreciate it a LOT.

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi Timbydude and welcome to Geekstogo!

You are going to be hard pressed to fix that without downloading a program to assist.
You really need to post a HiJackthis log in order to see what you exactly have. More than likely you have more than just elitebar.

Please ask the person if you can download a few programs to help you rid your self of this. I can assure you that all the programs we recommend have been tested time and time again and are safe and malware free.

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

Timbydude

Timbydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Although I'm aware that I can't fix this without HijackThis (there's absolutely no way to convince the owner of the computer of this) :tazz: , can you answer myother questions, as that would give me the most help that I can get right now. Could Ad-Aware really activate the pop-ups? Is Elitum more than just a spammer?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your time.

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Adaware is not activating your popups.

EliteBar installs itself as an Internet Explorer toolbar and redirects search requests.

Thats it as far as I can tell.

:tazz:

Excal

Timbydude

Timbydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Could you please answer my other questions in the original post?

Thanks a lot.

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
1) Could be done a number of ways so not sure.

2) usaually programs from symantec are reliable

3) already answered

4) NO

5) already answered.

Timbydude

Timbydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
OK. Thank you very much for helping me.

Excal

Excal

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.