Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

semi-corrupt Office 2003 install

• Please log in to reply

Verseau66

Verseau66

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Folks:

Some time ago, I received - free- Office 2003 Professional from Microsoft for attending a seminar. Very cool.

Installed it and have used it since with no problems whatesoever.

Several months ago -using both the recommendations from a reputable tech site and a Windows XP utility ( I forget which one: maybe TuneUp Utilities 2004 or Mindsoft Utilities XP), I tweaked the install logs among other things to improve performance on an older machine. Performance did improve markedly.

However, the install log for Office 2003 is now non-existent (every attempt at applying an update indicates that an msi file is missing) and therefore, while it does function fine, it does not update at all.

Of course, Microsoft's validation scheme will not allow me to re-install the software either, and they do not provide support for this as it was free and no longer covered by a support agreement, at least that is what they say.

Any way to fix this?

Thank you for your time

~V~

Advertisements