Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

freezeing computer when not useing

• Please log in to reply

mrhunta

mrhunta

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
my computer works perfect when im useing it but when i let it sit for without any one useing it for about a half an hour it freezes and it is imposible to unfreeze nothin will load up when you click on it . it wont even turn off by going to shut down or restart or when i press the button i have to hold it in to get it to turn off theres no virus in my computer i got rid of all the spy ware and adware its still doing ths help would be apreciated thanks :tazz:

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you computer is frozen, what happens if you do ctrl+alt+del. Does your task manager come up?

If it does and you can view the processes window, what process is running at a very high cpu usage?

makai

Edited by makai, 04 August 2005 - 09:26 PM.

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
naw control alt deleat dousent work it comes up and the windows coated in white and you cant see any thing thats supost to be displayed o i can tell you it loads franticaly for a short time and then stops befor it freezes wile im not useing it. i have no clue what it could be loading seeing how there is no programs running or windows open. any sugestions on how to fix this?

Edited by mrhunta, 04 August 2005 - 10:02 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I guess I have to ask if you have hibernation enabled. LOL... I didn't even think about this until now.

Check your Display settings/Screen Saver/Power and see if Hibernation is enabled. Uncheck it if it is.

Sometimes when a computer goes into hibernation, it acts the same as what you're describing.

makai

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
makai hiberation is not enabled that cant be the proplem the computer realey screws up this is not something people wanted to happen to any computer and im running a 150 gig 2.9 gh pentium 4 so my computer isent just old im so confused im starting to think i may have to reformat it

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

the computer realey screws up this is not something people wanted to happen to any computer

Understood.

Does the computer go into any kind of standby or screen saver mode, or is windows fully up with the desktop displayed, then all of a sudden, it freezes?

Have you tried updating/reinstalling your vid drivers?

im starting to think i may have to reformat it

Go to Start/run... type in chkdsk /f and see if it finds any errors. You might also want to do a system restore before formatting. Just choose a date far enough back. Or, you can do a windows repair... HERE

Tough call on what to look at. Since you say the machine is not that old, and it works while you're using it, it sort of rules out heat problems. Very weird... it could be just about anything!

makai

mrhunta

mrhunta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
it dousent go into any mode every thing looks like its running perfectley but nothing will load when you click on it and if there was a window open around the time the computer froze it will be blank white or grey depending what theme im useing and the computer is compleatley imposible to shut down turn off or restart without pressing the button when its frozen and when it dous do the shut down proses when you push the button that dous not work you have to hold it down thats the onley way

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
mrhunta,

Unless you're willing to try things, I can't help you isolate anything. I need you to run chkdsk /f. If you already have, you need to tell me. If not, this will take a much longer time than it needs to.

Please run chkdsk /f and see if it finds errors or fixes anything.

Also, if you start in Safe mode, and let the computer sit, will it still crash? If it does this in safe mode, then it could be that Windows itself is corrupted, or it's a hardware problem and not necessarily a peripheral driver problem since post-windows installed drivers are not loaded in Safe mode.

makai