Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

partitioning

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
About to install new HD in old Compaq - just want to gather old files from old HD and get this puter to last another 6 or 7 months till I can afford to replace it. I want to understand partitioning.

First off - where can I find the full, proper process to follow in preparing new HD - fdisk, defrag and all that?

Second - why partition? I'll install Win98. I will have a bit of documents and digital images. I get the idea I should install OS on first partition/drive. Do I install OS in another partition or just boot files (and how would I do that - just boot?) Install applications in another partition - how? Then use another partition for documents and image files. Should I have yet more partitions? I had a 40 GB HD and never filled it up before it crashed (2 - 4 years). I now have a 120 GB HD (it falls under that 136 (?) GB problem size) and want to understand partitioning before installing.

Third - can I do all the partitioning I need with this new install or do I need something like Partion Magic?

I anxiously await responses.

Bamakodaker

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
This is a wonderful site!!! :tazz:

Interesting the difference of a search on "partitioning hard drives" or "why partition"! I found information on the later after posting my question due to the page bottom "related items". I've learned more, just not enough to start.

Someone mentioned extended and logical partitions. What's the difference and why? Are those terms I need to understand before partitioning?

bamakodaker

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Partitioning allows you to split the drive up into different sections. These sections can be just about any size you want depending on what the Operating system's file system allows.

Some reasons for partitioning are:

1. Easy OS Restore, One partition has your Operating System and program files. Another has your Data files. This has the benefit that if you have to reinstall your OS, you can just format the main partition without having to backup and move all your data. (This does not mean you should not backup your data in case of HD failure). It is more a convenience thing.

2. Multiple Operating Systems, if you install more then one OS say Windows 98 and Windows XP. You will need to use separate partitions.

FYI Partition Magic is not necessary to initially setup the drive and partitions, only if you want to resize the partitions or add new ones from existing ones after you have programs and data on them.

Here is an explanation on Primary, Extended and Logical partitions.

Edited by GeneralAres, 05 August 2005 - 06:30 AM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I appreciate the advice and the link. They were both very helpful!

bamakodaker :tazz:

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I have a problem with an old hard drive. 40 GB installed in Compaq 5150. Appears perhaps boot record is messed up. It does not recognize any partitioning. I do have Norton's and GoBack installed. In some of the Norton Rescue disks it does get to a point where it will attempt to restore my partition. Can I allow that and NOT lose any data?

bamakodaker