Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to remove desktop folder panel?

• Please log in to reply

anmol

anmol

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Q1. My desktop has a folder panel with folder tasks, details, and other places section. How can i remove this?

Q2. Since this happened my icons on the quick launch keep changing for the same application. For eg, Show Desktop quick launch is currently an excel file icon!

Q3. When i shut down my computer it does not shut down completely after logging off!

These are a lot of problems but i would really apprecite some help

Thanks

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Theres no folder panel on desktop, unless u installed some 3rd party Desktop Sidebar. Can u describe what it looks like (a screenshot will be helpful).
Also, post a log.

For the shutdown problem,
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

anmol

anmol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your reply. PLease find attached a screenshot of my desktop.

Thank you for your help in advance.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U didnt attach the image, but i got idea of ur problem because u replied to the other guy with the same problem.
Ok, U meant the "Common Tasks Pane"
To resolve:
Download the XP_CommonTasks.zip file and save it to your hard drive Locate and double-click the file you just saved and extract XP_CommonTasks.exe. Double click XP_CommonTasks.exe to run the utility. You will need to log off/log on or reboot for the change to take effect.

Also for the shutdown problem, U didnt follow the steps i asked u to do in my previous post.

anmol

anmol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The common tasks pane problem got fixed. Thank you.

For the shutdown problem no error was generated in the eventviewer. Basically after logging off, it goes to a blue screen and hangs till you manually shut it down.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Ok, try the following steps:

1) Open Regedit (Start->Run. Type regedit. Press Enter)
2) Go to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management.
3) Check if the value of ClearPageFileAtShutdown is 1, which means it is enabled in Windows.

Note: If you are not comfortable with modifying the Windows Registry, I will make a file for u which will do the above steps.

Is ur shutdown better now?

anmol

anmol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, it is set to 1. Could you advise me on what to check next?

Thanks in advance

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

But, this time list all the events generated at the time of shutdown.

anmol

anmol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey Ash,

These are the three error/earning i got in the shutdown/restart process.

Application warning: Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.
System warning: The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server DNS/prisoner.iana.org. No authentication protocol was available.
System Error: The Virtual PC Application Services service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Cheers!

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Give all the details about the events.
The event no., event source,..etc.

BTW...The 3rd event seems to be for sytem boot, not shutdown.
U said that u performed shutdown/restart, only perform shutdown and list the events.

Advertisements

anmol

anmol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ash,

please find attched the screenshots of two errors during shutdown. In addition, the ThorConnWindClass was not ending on shutdown and I had to go to the task manager to shut it down.

Anmol

Attached Thumbnails

• a.png
  • b.png

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
These events are known to cause problems at shutdown but there is a wide range of possiblities.
First lets rule-out the most common ones:
The first event can be caused by malware, so will have to post a HijackThis log in ur next post.
Both the events are also comman if u dont have SP2, which Servive Pack do u have?

anmol

anmol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ash,

I have Service Pack 2 installed. Also when i ran hijackthis there were a few problems. They probably show up in the attached file.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
U forgot to attach again (2nd time). I think u are not presing the Add This Attachment button, after selecting the file.
U dont need to attach it anyway.
Just paste the log in ur next post.

Edited by darth_ash, 10 August 2005 - 01:02 AM.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Found It!! This will surely help.
Refer this and download the tool from the following page:
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en.

It says that if u get event-1517 on shutdown and the shutdown is slow, download and run the tool.