Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 Install Fail on Win98SE

• Please log in to reply

jollyr

jollyr

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Updating IE5 to IE6 in Win98SE has failed several times with the same result. Get the following error msg. after install gets ~4% complete: "Setup was unable to install all components. Please close all applications an try running setup again."
I am using ZoneAlarm (free) and AVG Free antivirus.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

JR

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To eliminate a few things, please boot the PC and keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter. You will see a number of screens during the repair of the registry. When this is complete, you will see a box with registry repaired, click OK, press enter then press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot the PC.

When the PC has loaded the desktop, press start, programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it needs from the 98SE CD.

Try to install IE6 from Windows Update

Edited by Keith, 04 August 2005 - 08:30 PM.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Registry repair and system file checker both ran without incident (file checker replaced one file).

Rebooted and tried to install IE6 from Windows Update but got same error message at same point of install.

What next?

Thanks.

JR

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install the most recent version of direct x

http://www.filehippo...ad_directx.html

Select custom install for IE6 select the least number of components and go back to add the other components one at a time until it gives an error

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Installed DX9c and tried to reinstall IE6...

Same error, same place.

Do you have anything else for me to try?

Thanks.

JR

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The installation has two phases, first the download manager/installer is opened or downloaded, then it begins downloding the other parts of the installation and installs them. At what phase does it cause a problem? Does it tell you what file it stops on? Something you might try is downloading the installer to your desktop or a floppy and opening it from there.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

The installation has two phases, first the download manager/installer is opened or downloaded, then it begins downloding the other parts of the installation and installs them. At what phase does it cause a problem? Does it tell you what file it stops on? Something you might try is downloading the installer to your desktop or a floppy and opening it from there.

View Post

The download apparently proceeds without a problem. All of the install files are downloaded into the C:\WINDOWS\windows Update Setup Files folder.

The process halts during the install part. The progress bar indicates about 4% when it stops. It occurs when the process goes from "backing up configuration files" to "copying files". This happens rapidly and I am not able to see which file causes the problem.

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jollyr, 05 August 2005 - 06:55 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you get this with custom install and selecting the least options, then going back to add other bits

TheShadow_FL

TheShadow_FL

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
MS's own suggestion for installing any new software is to "Shut Down All Running Programs", before starting the install.

I use a little utility to do this (End It All) which used to be freeware but is now a retail product from Zif Davis. :tazz:

But you can still do the ol' Ctrl+Alt+Del key combination to get a list of programs running and then shut them down one at a time.
Your AV program is probably the most detremental program to installing new software.
The firewall is next. (they just take up so many system resources)

You can also, deselect all your TSR's in MSCONFIG and then do a reboot to have a clean running PC.

Also, I used to have all sorts of problems doing just what you're trying to do....till I bought the IE6 install CD from MS. Since then, no problems.

Just some thoughts,
Good Luck,
Shadow ;)

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Keith: Yes, I selected minimum install and it failed.

Shadow: Went into msconfig, deleted all startup files and rebooted. Nothing showed in the task bar nor appeared as running when I opened the task manager. Ran setup from downloaded files and had identical stoppage as before.

Does anyone have other tricks to try, short of buying a potential solution?

Thanks to all.

JR

Edited by jollyr, 06 August 2005 - 09:25 AM.

Advertisements

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
:tazz: If anyone has any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks!

JR

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
A basic question that hasn't been asked, how much free disk space and memory do you have in your system? If you have enough you might try redefragmenting in case your disk space is too fragmented to allow copying the files properly.

Edited by Tyger, 08 August 2005 - 03:58 PM.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I recently reinstalled Win98se on my C-drive (after reformatting the hard drive, FAT32). I have 512MB RAM and ~17GB out of 20GB of free space. This was done about a month or so ago. I don't think there's that much fragmentation.

I didn't notice anything unusual when I reinstalled the OS. Should I try to reinstall without losing data, as described in the pinned topic area? I'm concerned about doing this, though.

My system is set up to dual boot, with XP on the D-drive (NTFS). My main concern is about about losing the ability to dual boot. (this happened before, hence my reinstalling both OS's)

Does this additional info shed any light on my dilemma?

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jollyr, 08 August 2005 - 08:57 PM.

jollyr

jollyr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Bump. (Will only do this once.)

Am hoping someone may have solution out there. I am loath to purchase a disk from M$ if there is a free and simple solution out there.

Thanks.

JR

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The only thing I can come up with right now is that the installer is refusing to copy over some protected files or folders in the old installation and you may need to remove the read only property before the installation can proceed.