Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HEAT HOT HEAT

• Please log in to reply

absloute momo

absloute momo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
okay here's the short of it...we have a comp. lab at my school where i teach refugees about tech stuff. all of our computers can barely support W98 so i've convinced the powers that be to upgrade. i plan on building the comps myself so as to save some cayshe therefore allowing me more money to spend on quality parts. here's where the get down goes down (i think i meant to say here's the rub):

my boss is a complete idiot and has yet to get the building air conditioned (long, long story). being that it's the middle of summer and we have nothing but fans to cool the room the temp in there probably reaches anywhere from 95% t0 105% (YES IT SUCKS)

anyway the comps we have in there already (pentium 2s mostly) seem to handle it just fine. we even have a few pentium 4s in there that seem to have no problem with the heat...we desperately need the new comps and can get those as opposed to the AC which ain't happnin' anytime soon (long stupid story). anyway, just how detrimental will these conditions be on the new machines???? as i'm sure you have too, i've always heard that heat is about the worst thing for a comp but like i say the other comps seem to be alright with it.

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Heat HOT HEAT
Date: 4th AUG- 2005 . . . Poster absloute momo

You might try writing a –HEAT REPORT – with a more Technical Approach & refrain from the negative phrases of those, who can help you.

You could make it a Class Project and get your class involved. You say you are “teaching” – Technical Stuff – Well here is an opportunity to apply: Technical Stuff.

You have a great opportunity for: Teaching “ROOT CAUSE” Troubleshooting. Do a Heat Study. You have the questions. . . Research & Develop the Answers.

Investigate – Research – Measure – Collect Data – Analyze – Discuss – Develop an Outline – Write Report – Review – Correct – Submit -

Make the DATA talk for you

Sounds as if this could be an “Interesting Class”. What enrollment size, do you have? How many weeks is the class? Is this a course at an Accredited Technical School?

Here are some Webb site links:

Keep it positive-
Jack123

http://www.spcug.org...iews/bl9910.htm

http://www.windowsne...ummer-Heat.html

Edited by Jack123, 04 August 2005 - 10:51 PM.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
ok the powers that be are on crack #1 as a high school student i know if class rooms are that hot all u wanna do is sleep #2 they are giving u the funds to build these computers but then they are puttin them in the conditions where they arnt going to get there moneys worth outta them honestly if i was u i would go and buy a few room air conditioners with the funds they gave u and use those babies to cool ur lab and if the higher ups ask any ? say they are yours and u need an enviroment in which u can teach and if that dont work i wouldnt go with prescott core processors cuz thats what i have and those run hotter than others.

Lion

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would go with something amd that you know is gonna run quite cool. It depends how hot you mean, if the room temp regularly exceeds 25 degrees then you need otherwise you are fine just dont get pentium 4 cause then it will get very hot.

absloute momo

absloute momo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks jack, good suggestions and articles

if it were possible to get a/c i would have...the building can't support it...long stupid story...

i've been hearing a lot about prescot cpus running hot so i'll def. stay away from those...i'll let you kind fellas know how it goes...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if you ever need any help we here love helping people spend money on pcs.

BigD

BigD

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
What type of building is this?

It can't support AC? Is it made of paper?