Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a gaming system

• Please log in to reply

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Alright, I'm 15, I got a job this summer and made $1700 to build a gaming computer with. I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to computer building, and I was hoping you guys could give me an opinion on my components.

Gigabyte 8I848P-G
P4 3.4 Ghz
6800GT AGP 8x
1GB 400Mhz RAM
120GB HD
450W psu
5.1 turtle beach sound card
XP professional

Im not sure about optical drives...
Can someone explain what all the different drive symbols and abbreviations mean?

Can I buy one drive that has reads and burns both cd's and dvd's?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For a gaming system you want a AMD cpu not an intel and you want to buy a PCI express motherboard.
AGP is the graphics slot on the mobo old you want the new pci-e. Ghz gigaherts clockspeed of the cpu, a rough indication of power as well, W watts measure of power/energy. psu power supply unit. RAM random access memory, a fast storage mediun used to hold data the cpu/gpu will require soon.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
do you think you could give me a reason to buy an AMD processsor and not an intel? What AMD processor is equivalent to a 3.4? AMDs are socket 939 right?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Amds are better cpus for gaming they are cooler they are very stable, much better than intel cpus, the nearest is a 3500+ but a 3200+ gets near enough the same performance in games. AMDs are 939 and you want a venice or san diego core cpu, preferable san diego.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i like the 64-bit processing on amd cpus, thats about all. i can handle playing with an intel for a few less fps, because I also do video editing and converting.

but intel doesn't have real 64-bit cpus so get amd, cuz they do. its better for the future. but if u want intel, get one with em64t in it. it supports 64-bit software and stuff, but not a real 64-bit cpu.

o and amds do run cooler and thats good for gaming. and they are well rounded in fsb, core speed, etc. while intels power in some areas and dwell in others.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
alright then! how about

AMD Athlon 64 3500
Abit A8N motherboard

This motherboard also has PCI-e, which is way better than a S478's AGP 8X.

Its funny. All these better, newer components are cheaper than my old intel/AGP setup. Go figure

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yup amd stuff is geared for your home user that is what the athlons are marketed towards and companies are happy to make kit for it because amd cpus are easier to work with so the equipment is cheaper. Thats the advantage of buying amd over intel.

desca

desca

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Alright, I'm 15, I got a job this summer and made $1700 to build a gaming computer with.

View Post

Whered you get a job????

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
haha. Well my dad is a painting contractor who has been working on this millionaire's house for almost a year, and his last helper got fired right about when I needed a job to build a computer... Its a full time job, $6/hour. Not bad for a first job