Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pcctlcom file breakdown

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Win 98 was running fine. Then installed Nero disk burning program which I had used before on 98 with no problems. Right away win.98 went down and when I boot up I always get a screen with Pcctlcom has caused page default in kernel32.

I hear windows loading in the background but no icons come up

What can I push, pull, click, delete etc. to rememdy situation?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check Trend Micro if you have it

Process File: PcCtlCom.exe
Process Name: Trend Micro VirusScan Module

Description: PcCtlCom.exe is a process belonging to the Trend Micro Internet Security suite. It offers your computer security against Internet bound threats such as trojans and spyware. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
How can I check anything on win 98 when there are no icons on the desktop with which to work?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please boot the PC and keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter. You will see a number of screens during the repair of the registry. When this is complete, you will see a box with registry repaired, click OK, press enter then press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot the PC.

When the PC has loaded the desktop, press start, programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it needs from the 98SE CD.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have tried your directions several times but do not get the screens you are talking about. I have a partitioned hard drive 98 on one and XP on the other.

When I get to the window where I choose 98 I can get to the options screen , can select command prompt but again it goes right to a green screen with the pcctlcom file error and no place to type scanreg.exe

Can help further and am appreciating your efforts so far.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See how far you can get with this, which will let you re-install and keep your data

http://www.geekstogo...98-95-t479.html

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Read your site directions and unless I am not understanding something it directs me to use the 98 disk and Expl. of 98? I can't get to any files on 98 so not sure how I can use the directions. Am I missing something here?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have the 98 CD

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Yes, I do