Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't start

• Please log in to reply

Dave G.

Dave G.

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a HP Pavilion that won't start up when I press the start button. It hasn't been used in a few months. It worked fine when last used. Nothing at all happens. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisements

GeneralAres

GeneralAres

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
What model pavilion?

1. Make sure you power cord it plugged into the PC and your surge protector. If it is reseat it.
2. Make sure the surge protector is on. If it is, reset it, then try another surge protector.
3. Test the wall outlet to make sure it has power by using something like a desk lamp.
4. When you press the power button do you get any lights or hear anything? Does the Power Supply fan in the back spin and do you feel any air moving?
5. Check the power supply and see if it has a secondary power switch, make sure it is on.
6. If you are in the US check the power supply for a red switch and make sure it says 115 (your PSU may not have this).
7. Has anything been added or changed to the computer, hardware wise lately?

Edited by GeneralAres, 05 August 2005 - 05:14 AM.

Dave G.

Dave G.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your prompt reply!

It is a Pavilion XL775.

1. Done
2. Done
3. Done
4. Nothing happens at all. No noise, fan or lights.
5. Done
6. Has red switch and is at 115.
7. No hardware has been added or changed.

I even tried a different power cord and still nothing.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Open it up and check if any of the connections have fallen out of there socket. Check the power connections IDE cables, sata cables if any, and the power switch from the case is still connected. If you have another psu try that as well if you can.

Edited by warriorscot, 05 August 2005 - 08:17 AM.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I agree with warriorscot. My guess is a loose power connection. It's happened to me before. Unplug your computer from the wall (just in case). Open up your case and try pushing in all the cables connected to your motherboard to make sure they are not loose.

Or (hopefully not) it could be a dead power switch. If you are inclined, and know what you are doing, you can test this by unplugging the tiny cables to the power switch and replace them with the reset switch cables and then use the reset button to turn on your computer.

Edited by UV_Power, 05 August 2005 - 12:06 PM.