Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System slows down to a stand-still way too easily

• Please log in to reply

brentray

brentray

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I found this site when I was doing some searches for my current problem.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 notebook. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2. I have a hyperthreaded Pentium 4 Processor (3.0 GHz) and 1GB of memory. For some reason, I've been having horrible problems with my system slowing down way too easily. One instance of this is the presence of Flash content on websites. Even just one or two flash movies can cause my system to slow way down. Basically, my computer noticibly slows down, sometimes even if I'm running just one application. If I run several applications at once, it is nearly unbearable. I have searched around these forums a little bit and have tried out some of the performance-enhancing tweaks. They have helped a little bit, but my system is still slow.

This seems strange to me. I have plenty of processing speed and memory, and I just did a reformat and an OS reinstall just a couple months ago. Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I feel like it isn't a hardware issue, so I'm guessing it's software related. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

EDIT: I've also made sure that my system is free of spyware and viruses, using multiple spyware and virus scanning programs.

Edited by brentray, 05 August 2005 - 08:08 AM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
What I would try first is to get into Task manager and see what programs were using your resources. Try to do this if you notice an abrupt change in speed. Also, while checking the Processes tab, see how many startup programs are loading. (my Processes are only 19... this is because I've tweak my machine)

Also, the options you choose in your anti-virus programs can make a huge difference in "apparent" performance. Check to see that your options aren't set to actively scan every single file/program while the program is active.

Also, you may have so many "monitoring" programs running, that they are all just eating up your CPU resources. I'm sure you could stand to kill a lot of start up stuff on your machine which would help quite a bit.

makai

Edited by makai, 05 August 2005 - 02:34 AM.

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks for the reply Makai.

I changed a few of my Mcafee settings so that ActiveShield isn't scanning every single file i try to read. Maybe that will help things little.

I looked at my Task Manager and noticed that I have 41 processes running even after I've closed everything but the vital system processes and McAfee Security Center.

This does seem like a lot, but when I go to http://www.processlibrary.com/ and type in each one to see what it is, it seems like these are all necessary files. I'm using about 20% of my memory and about 10% of my page file. The noticible thing that is happening in the Task Manager when things slow down is that my CPU usage jumps to almost 100% usage. This doesn't seem like it should be that much of an issue though. I ran a test on my old desktop with a much much slower processor and it could handle the things I was asking my laptop to do better than my laptop could.

I'm still a bit a a loss. :tazz:

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

this does seem like a lot, but when I go to http://www.processlibrary.com/ and type in each one to see what it is, it seems like these are all necessary files

"Necessary" is a matter of opinion. ;)

Startup programs are only necessary if the user needs the service. For instance, unless you killed Realplayer, mediaplayer, or Quicktime schedulers for instance, right now, these programs are running things for no good reason.

Along with these kinds of apps, your printer software has also loaded some start modules, along with office, acrobat reader, and a host of other programs. Not only that, but some apps may load two or three modules... each!

Also, Prefetch has loaded a ton of things into memory "just in case" you ever need to run something you have previously run. Go to C:\windows\prefetch and open that folder. Look at the names, dates, and number of the files and ask yourself, do you think you need all these things running in memory. You may even see "driver" files in the prefetch folder. Now why is windows loading drivers into memory? Does it think that one day you will launch a driver app again?

Not many people understand that the extraneous loading of apps, schedulers, and monitors affect their performance that much. True, they don't, as long as you have a lot of ram to waste!

The noticible thing that is happening in the Task Manager when things slow down is that my CPU usage jumps to almost 100% usage. This doesn't seem like it should be that much of an issue though.

This "is" the issue. If your CPU usage jumps to 100%, it is during this time that everything else comes to a standstill. Your CPU usage should be basically "flat lined" at around zero percent... unless you yourself are doing something. Each line item you see in Task manager should never cause 100% usage... unless something is amiss. The only high percentage you should see is System Idle processes which should be hovering around 90+ percent. If your machine is running slow at any particular time, you need to dentify what process is running at a high percentage and that will tell you what is causing your problem.

Of course, most all of that only discribes what is "visible" to you via Task manager. Other probems that could slow your computer are spyware. I am currently working on a friends computer that took about 20 mins just to load to the desktop, and longer than that before the hourglass finally changed to a pointer. An Adaware scan revealed over 1700+ modules. After cleaning that, Spybot flagged 900 modules, then McAfee Stinger flagged about 9 worms. This was the slowest computer I have ever seen in my life!

Gee... sorry for the long response... my fingers just started running by themselves! Now... what was your problem again? :tazz:

makai

Edited by makai, 05 August 2005 - 09:00 AM.

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

"Necessary" is a matter of opinion.  ;)

Startup programs are only necessary if the user needs the service.  For instance, unless you killed Realplayer, mediaplayer, or Quicktime schedulers for instance, right now, these programs are running things for no good reason. 

Along with these kinds of apps, your printer software has also loaded some start modules, along with office, acrobat reader, and a host of other programs.  Not only that, but some apps may load two or three modules... each!

Also, Prefetch has loaded a ton of things into memory "just in case" you ever need to run something you have previously run.  Go to C:\windows\prefetch and open that folder.  Look at the names, dates, and number of the files and ask yourself, do you think you need all these things running in memory.  You may even see "driver" files in the prefetch folder.  Now why is windows loading drivers into memory?  Does it think that one day you will launch a driver app again? 

Not many people understand that the extraneous loading of apps, schedulers, and monitors affect their performance that much.  True, they don't, as long as you have a lot of ram to waste!
This "is" the issue.  If your CPU usage jumps to 100%, it is during this time that everything else comes to a standstill.  Your CPU usage should be basically "flat lined" at around zero percent... unless you yourself are doing something.  Each line item you see in Task manager should never cause 100% usage... unless something is amiss.  The only high percentage you should see is System Idle processes which should be hovering around 90+ percent.  If your machine is running slow at any particular time, you need to dentify what process is running at a high percentage and that will tell you what is causing your problem.

Of course, most all of that only discribes what is "visible" to you via Task manager.  Other probems that could slow your computer are spyware.  I am currently working on a friends computer that took about 20 mins just to load to the desktop, and longer than that before the hourglass finally changed to a pointer.  An Adaware scan revealed over 1700+ modules.  After cleaning that, Spybot flagged 900 modules, then McAfee Stinger flagged about 9 worms.  This was the slowest computer I have ever seen in my life!

Gee... sorry for the long response... my fingers just started running by themselves!  Now... what was your problem again? :tazz: 

makai

View Post

There are a lot of files in my prefetch folder, but is it ok to just delete those files? Or is there a more approved way of removing them?

In terms of the CPU usage, it isn't specific to one program. It happens to my browser (firefox), window media player, iTunes, sometimes even Windows Explorer. At any given time, any given program can be taking up 90% or more of my CPU's attention. It's not like one process is the culprit.

I have done extensive searching for spyware, worms, viruses, trojans, etc. I've used Ad-Aware, Spy Sweeper, Ewido Security Suite, McAfee, and Spyboy S&D. I am 99.9% certain that my computer is free of all of this.

Edited by brentray, 05 August 2005 - 09:08 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

There are a lot of files in my prefetch folder, but is it ok to just delete those files? Or is there a more approved way of removing them?

You can actually just delete the contents of the Prefetch folder. But... as long as Prefetch is enabled in the registry, this folder will eventually begin to fill up again. No big problem for you actually, with 1gig of ram.

Why don't you post both a Hijackthis scan log and startup log here so we can see what programs are loading up. Maybe we can find something to help speed you up.

makai

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks makai. Here's my log file.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:52:42 PM, on 8/5/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\OasClnt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\msoffice.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell Wireless Manager UI] C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Logitech Utility] Logi_MwX.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SsAAD.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SP2 Connection Patcher] "C:\Program Files\SP2 Connection Patcher\SP2ConnPatcher.exe" -n=200
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SpeedUpMyPC.lnk = C:\Program Files\LIUtilities\SpeedUpMyPC\speedupmypc.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...96/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupd...b?1110573067546
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,23/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://sympatico.zon...aploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://pdl.stream.ao.../ampx_en_dl.cab
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: RadClock - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RadClock.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service (wltrysvc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Something I just noticed (not sure if this is normal or not)... the HijackThis log says I only have 35 processes running, but Task Manager says I have 43. So what are those 8 processes not showing up on HijackThis?

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Still having problems. Can anyone help me?

Edited by brentray, 05 August 2005 - 04:10 PM.

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Makai wanted a startup list also.

This is how you make one:
  • Open HiJackThis
  • Click on the configure button on the bottom right
  • Click on the tab "Misc Tools"
  • Check off the 2 boxes next to the Box that says "Generate StartupList log"
  • Click on the button "Generate StartupList log"
  • Copy and past the StartupList from the notebook onto your post
:tazz:

Excal

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry bentray, I couldn't post back earlier.

I was looking over your log and you do have a ton of things starting up.

If you go HERE and paste you HJT log into the window and click on Submit, it will analyze your HJT log. It will send you to another window where you can click on most of the .dll, .exe files and get a description of what they do.

You could stand to kill a lot of your startup stuff, but I don't think it will help you with what you're describing is your problem.

I'm wondering if your mcafee is bumping heads with ewido. Try totally disabling mcafee from starting up. I can't tell you how to do it, as I basically "strongly dislike" mcafee and would never use it. Probably in the options of the program you can disable it. Do this when you have no network connection. Just run your machine awhile and use it to see if the performance improves. I have a feeling mcafee is doing so much monitoring that it's stalling your programs, or it's corrupted (this is it's history) and needs reinstallation.

After you run awhile, please post a HJT Start up log.

makai

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks Excal and makai.

I was gone over the weekend, so sorry it's taken me a while to respond. I did what you recommended, makai, and disabled McAfee. It actually did help a good deal. Things seems to be running much better. Flash content actually doesn't crawl at a grueling pace anymore, and my other slow-down issues are significantly better.

What virus scanning program would you recommend? Is Ewido good enough to protect my whole system? The thing I liked about McAfee was that it would check emails for viruses, and let me know if I went to a webpage that tried to install stupid little ad bars or something. What is your recommendation?

Here is my HijackThis startup log. Sorry I missed that the first time. Let me know if you find anything. Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it.

StartupList report, 8/8/2005, 12:28:01 AM
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
* Using default options
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wltrysvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcmwltry.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
C:\Program Files\LIUtilities\SpeedUpMyPC\speedupmypc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\msoffice.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

--------------------------------------------------

Listing of startup folders:

Shell folders Common Startup:
[C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup]
Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
SpeedUpMyPC.lnk = C:\Program Files\LIUtilities\SpeedUpMyPC\speedupmypc.exe

Checking Windows NT UserInit:

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
UserInit = C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

BCMSMMSG = BCMSMMSG.exe
Dell Wireless Manager UI = C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLTRAY
Logitech Utility = Logi_MwX.Exe
SsAAD.exe = C:\PROGRA~1\Sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
SunJavaUpdateSched = C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
MCAgentExe = c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
MCUpdateExe = C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe
iTunesHelper = "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

Autorun entries from Registry:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

AIM = C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
SP2 Connection Patcher = "C:\Program Files\SP2 Connection Patcher\SP2ConnPatcher.exe" -n=200

Shell & screensaver key from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI:

Shell=*INI section not found*
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*INI section not found*
drivers=*INI section not found*

Shell & screensaver key from Registry:

Shell=Explorer.exe
SCRNSAVE.EXE=*Registry value not found*
drivers=*Registry value not found*

Policies Shell key:

HKCU\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry key not found*
HKLM\..\Policies: Shell=*Registry value not found*

Enumerating Browser Helper Objects:

(no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3}
(no name) - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910}

Enumerating Task Scheduler jobs:

Spybot - Search & Destroy - Scheduled Task.job

Enumerating Download Program Files:

[Office Update Installation Engine]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\opuc.dll
CODEBASE = http://office.micros...ntent/opuc2.cab

[McAfee.com Operating System Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\mcinsctl.dll
CODEBASE = http://download.mcaf...96/mcinsctl.cab

[WUWebControl Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuweb.dll
CODEBASE = http://v5.windowsupd...b?1110573067546

[ZoneIntro Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\ZIntro.ocx
CODEBASE = http://zone.msn.com/...ro.cab34246.cab

[DwnldGroupMgr Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\McGDMgr.dll
CODEBASE = http://download.mcaf...,23/mcgdmgr.cab

[Shockwave Flash Object]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\system32\macromed\flash\Flash.ocx
CODEBASE = http://download.macr...ash/swflash.cab

[PopCapLoader Object]
InProcServer32 = C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll
CODEBASE = http://sympatico.zon...aploader_v6.cab

[IWinAmpActiveX Class]
InProcServer32 = C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Nullsoft\ActiveX\2.4\AmpX.dll
CODEBASE = http://pdl.stream.ao.../ampx_en_dl.cab

Enumerating ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad items:

PostBootReminder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
CDBurn: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
WebCheck: C:\WINDOWS\System32\webcheck.dll
SysTray: C:\WINDOWS\System32\stobject.dll

End of report, 6,411 bytes
Report generated in 0.063 seconds

Command line options:
/verbose - to add additional info on each section
/complete - to include empty sections and unsuspicious data
/full - to include several rarely-important sections
/force9x - to include Win9x-only startups even if running on WinNT
/forcent - to include WinNT-only startups even if running on Win9x
/forceall - to include all Win9x and WinNT startups, regardless of platform
/history - to list version history only

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hi brentray,

No problem. I actually just noticed your avatar... LOL! What are those cows doing! :tazz:

Actually, I was just about to sign off for the night... quite tired now. I just checked in and saw you posted back so I thought I would post to say I haven't forgoten about you. I'm glad your machine is running better. I'll look over your list and get back to you tomorrow. Ok.

Goodnight,
makai

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks makai. I might have spoke a little too soon when I said everything was running better. Things are running better in general, but it's still not as quick as it should be. I had iTunes open to listen to some of my music, and it seems like that really bogs down my system. It's taking up anywhere from 30-50% of my processor, and total CPU usage is around 97%. It just seems like so many resources are being used for such a small amount of usage.

I got this machine so I could be able to do video editing on it, but that's not going to happen anymore if I can't even play music and run a web browser simultaneously. What a frustration...... I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow. Thanks again.

Edited by brentray, 08 August 2005 - 09:00 AM.

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
bump