Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System slows down to a stand-still way too easily

• Please log in to reply

Roostrab

Roostrab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi BrentRay,
I too have an Inspiron 9100 with exactly the same problem. After trawling the net looking for solution (yep, i tried all the adware removers/process monitors etc.) i found something NOT specific to the 9100 (it was for another dell machine with the same issue) that works a treat:

in your control panel
goto system
goto hardware
goto device manager
goto processor
double click on either processor
goto driver
click on roll back driver
you'll get a warning that it is and uncertified driver - click to continue
your machine will prompt to restart
when it start up thing are fast again!

Hope that this helps,
Roostrab

Advertisements

brentray

brentray

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey Roostrab, thanks for the reply. I tried this out, but unfortunately I didn't have the good results you experienced. It actually made things go a lot slower. Oh well. Thanks for the tip though!

-Brent

Roostrab

Roostrab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sorry that did not help!
Have a look at this rather lengthy article:

http://www.hardwarez...?cid=14&id=1122

Specifically:

(just below the image of the underside of the machine)

One important consideration of using desktop components in a notebook is Thermal Design Power. Both the Pentium 4 3.2GHz and ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 processors can get 'finger-burning' hot real quick and it won't be long before thermal throttling sets in to reduce the speed of these complex processors down to an acceptable thermal threshold. But the downside of this autonomous clock speed stepping down is a considerable slash in performance, which is a bane for this muscular notebook. So to let end-users squeeze as much processing power and productivity as possible, DELL has included three blower fans to keep the notebook's component's and processors' temperatures in check.

Again,
Hope that this helps!

Roostrab