Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

What does Vertical SYNC do on my Graphics

• Please log in to reply

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Hi , I have Just Got a Nvidia GeForce FX5200 which isnt that good on most games but i found it has VERTICAL SYNC and im not sure what it does it is set to off what will happen if i switch it on .. Any ideas Thanks

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
From Wikipedia.org:

Vertical synchronization (abbreviated as vertical sync or V-sync) is a method used in computer games to only allow the game to draw to the screen starting at the beginning of a video scan. This limits the frame rate of the game to the monitor's refresh frequency and also prevents page tearing.

V-sync is often found in applications where frames forming a motion sequence are rendered in real time at a variable rate, including 2D/3D games and audio/data visualizations, but does not apply to video playback.

It is a good idea to switch it on, as most games use it.