Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

am I running too much protection?

• Please log in to reply

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
[FONT=Impact]Hello! Back once again with newbie questions....

Am currently running:
Spyblaster
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware SE
Registry Fix
Norton Anti-Virus
MS Antispyware Beta Version

Is this too much? not enough? using FireFox.

Should I be using Thunderbird also? If so, (newbie here) does it take the place of my Yahoo mail? How do I go about changing over and is it difficult?

Added 512 more of memory so now am running with 768. Anything else I should do or add to help speed this Dell up?

And last, but not least, when I run all the above listed cleanups, I wind up missing a file or files my HP6210 needs & have to insert the CD because I still get a 'trapApp' error. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thank you, in advance, for any help or advice you can give me!

This is, without a doubt, the best site! I have told everyone I know to use it for the best advice and resolution to any questions/problems.

Thank you all for the work you do to help the rest of us.

Think of it as 'random acts of kindness'. You are adding good things to your karma by helping so many people.

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
In my opinion, there is no such thing as 'too much' protection. If you have the system specifications to support a whole list of such software, then by all means, go ahead and download whatever programs you feel you require. Do not however, by any means, have two or more anti-virus programs and/or firewalls running on one single PC, as that can cause some serious conflicts for your system.

The list of software you listed seems to be pretty decent. Here's a list of the programs I currently have on my own system -

ZoneAlarm Firewall
Norton AntiVirus 2005
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1
Ad-Aware SE Personal
WinPatrol
IE Spyad
SpywareBlaster
a-squared
WinASO Registry Optimizer
Mozilla Firefox
Deer Park Alpha 2
Mozilla Thunderbird
Opera
CleanUp!
HijackThis

As you can see, the programs I have on my PC make for a pretty hefty list, too. Even so, I don't necessary take the security of my computer for granted - new, undiscovered viruses/malware can easy overtake a PC at any given time in between those definition updates, and it is for that sole single reason that I have WinPatrol installed on my computer, for around-the-clock protection.

Mozilla Thunderbird isn't required for your Mozilla Firefox to work, as it is a standalone e-mail client application by itself. What it does is pretty basic - you set up your existing e-mail account on it, and it simply retrieves and delivers your e-mail from your inbox straight onto your desktop whenever you open up the program. It does not create a brand new e-mail account for you, so you won't have to worry about giving up your Yahoo account - you simply use the software for convenience, so that you won't have to visit Hotmail or Yahoo or Gmail and log in manually every single time you want to check your e-mail. Another thing to note is that it only downloads legitimate mail from your inbox - all those few dozen junk e-mails that get dumped to your address daily are kept where they are - in your spam folder, and out of your sight.

Most of the people who require an e-mail client are those who have multiple e-mail accounts, and have to handle loads of e-mail everyday. For me, I use Thunderbird simply because I adore the way it makes the chore of having to check my e-mail every single day so simple and efficient. There are many reasons why I prefer using Thunderbird over regular old webmail, but if I had to list them all out it would probably take me until next morning or something, so you'll just have to gauge for yourself whether you feel you truly require an e-mail client or not. Setting up an account can be pretty tricky for the first time, but what I did when I first started up was to visit the Thunderbird support forums, which provide extremely detailed instructions on how to set up different e-mail accounts on TB.

when I run all the above listed cleanups, I wind up missing a file or files my HP6210 needs & have to insert the CD because I still get a 'trapApp' error. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

What do you mean when you say 'run all of the above'? Do you run them one by one, or all together at one go? Which program scan triggers off the error messages? Do you happen to have a screenshoot of the error message that you can show us? If no, can you provide more details - like, what do the messages say, exactly? How many different ones do you get? What file or files do they claim you are lacking?

Sorry for that bombarding of questions - just try to answer them best as you can, please, so that we will have more material to work with when trying to assist you. :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
blueskieswoman, no you are fine in the protection you have. Just keep all of your definitions updated and you should be ok. If you use yahoo mail do you download email to your pc or do you just use firefox to view your mail?

as to the hp file issue I would go to hp.com and download the latest driver/software for your printer. that should resolve that issue.

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
hello! Thanks so much for the quick replies! I apologize in advance that this will be long! I will try to answer ?s as well as I can:

If you use yahoo mail do you download email to your pc or do you just use firefox to view your mail? I look at my mail but do not download it to my pc. I have always heard that that is a way to really create problems for yourself. Am I doing this right?

went to the HP site & checked to make sure my software/drivers are the latest & greatest - according to them, everthing is current. When I had this problem before, I actually called them & they sent out a new CD, had me remove all the HP software & reinstall using the new one. Did it, hasn't changed anything tho.

Cassykins ?s - What do you mean when you say 'run all of the above'? Do you run them one by one, or all together at one go? Which program scan triggers off the error messages? I run each program seperately, one after the other. Altho most are on a schedule, I make sure they each run alone. Also, I have Cleanup on my system - when should I be using it?

This a.m. I decided to run each program & then restart the computer to see what is removing a file or pointer or ?. Well, it turns out that RegistryFix is taking out whatever it is I need for the HP files. Don't know why.....

The following lists the errors received when I ran RegistryFix and then allowed the fixes, restarted & then had to insert the HP cd to fix the "trayapp" problem; then I ran RegistryFix again & got more errors. Anyone have any ideas? I thought I would send the same info to RegistryFix site & see if they can help too.

1ST RUN of RegistryFix; okayed it to fix the following; restarted the computer and then got the “trayapp error” – inserted the CD and let it run thru it’s checking, etc. then it asked to install another device or to uninstall. Those were my only two choices. So I selected install another device and chose “cannot connect the device at this time”. It seemed to finish just fine. But then re-ran the RegistryFix and got 7 errors (AGAIN) those will be listed below these with a break denoting the 1st run, fix and then the 2nd run.

1ST RUN OF REGISTRYFIX: ERRORS LISTED BELOW (TOTAL OF 9)

RegKey : HKCLASS\.dcx
ValueName : PersistentHandler
Value :
The Application ID () is not valid. ( does not exist) RegKey : HKCLASS\.fpx
ValueName : PersistentHandler
Value :
The Application ID () is not valid. ( does not exist) RegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\CtxMgr\Strings
ValueName : LeadToolsDir
Value : c:\program files\common files\hp\digital imaging\leadtools
The file (c:\program files\common files\hp\digital imaging\leadtools) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\CtxMgr\Strings
ValueName : ProjectsPluginsDir
Value : c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\data\projectsplugins
The file (c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\data\projectsplugins) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging
ValueName : LeadToolsPath
The file (c:\program files\common files\hp\digital imaging\leadtools) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\usg\#Hewlett-Packard#HP Officejet 6200 series#1123087170
ValueName : DataFolder
Value : c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\hp\digital imaging\hp officejet 6200 series\1123087170\data\hpqusg\cn4ance5100453\
The file (c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\hp\digital imaging\hp officejet 6200 series\1123087170\data\hpqusg\cn4ance5100453\) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\IMAPI\StashInfo
ValueName : StashPath
Value : c:\windows\temp\stashimapi.bin
The file (c:\windows\temp\stashimapi.bin) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Media Device Manager
ValueName : Log.Filename
Value : c:\windows\system32\wmdm.log
The file (c:\windows\system32\wmdm.log) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\{7700e3f9-57a6-11d9-94ae-806d6172696f}\_Autorun\DefaultIcon
ValueName :
Value : d:\setup.exe
The file (d:\setup.exe) does not exist at the specified location

AFTER 2ND RUN OF REGISTRYFIX, AFTER ALLOWING THE REPAIR OF THE ERRORS ABOVE:

RegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\CtxMgr\Strings
ValueName : LeadToolsDir
The file (c:\program files\common files\hp\digital imaging\leadtools) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging\CtxMgr\Strings
ValueName : ProjectsPluginsDir
Value : c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\data\projectsplugins
The file (c:\program files\hp\digital imaging\data\projectsplugins) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\DigitalImaging
ValueName : LeadToolsPath
The file (c:\program files\common files\hp\digital imaging\leadtools) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\Install\{342C7C88-D335-4bc2-8CF1-281857629CE2}
ValueName : SourceDir
Value : d:\
The file (d:\) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Hewlett-Packard\usg\#Hewlett-Packard#HP Officejet 6200 series#1123087170
ValueName : DataFolder
Value : c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\hp\digital imaging\hp officejet 6200 series\1123087170\data\hpqusg\cn4ance5100453\
The file (c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\hp\digital imaging\hp officejet 6200 series\1123087170\data\hpqusg\cn4ance5100453\) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\IMAPI\StashInfo
ValueName : StashPath
Value : c:\windows\temp\stashimapi.bin
The file (c:\windows\temp\stashimapi.bin) does not exist at the specified locationRegKey : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints2\{7700e3f9-57a6-11d9-94ae-806d6172696f}\_Autorun\DefaultIcon
ValueName :
Value : d:\setup.exe
The file (d:\setup.exe) does not exist at the specified location

This is sooooooo frustrating. What am I doing wrong? Why is this happening? I have all the latest software & drivers (according to HP website) and have my computer set to automatically check for updates to HP, MicroSoft, Symantec, etc.

also, I read another problem here at g2g about 'blue screen'; when my system is coming up or after I log on, as my programs wake up or start or whatever they are doing, I often get a 'blue screen', especially if there is an error somewhere - is this normal? (you can laugh now, total newbie question, right?) :tazz: But, my old computer got so messed up and ran so slow that I am extremely nervous about the same thing happening with this one.

Should I run a HJT log? I was hoping to not have to bother anyone at g2g about the registry if I got RegistryFix. However, I ran ErrorNuker check (didn't buy yet) & it said I had 79 errors! How can that be?

Last, but certainly not least, I also run maintenance from the control panel (disk cleanup) and defrag when needed.

What am I doing wrong?

Destructo

Destructo

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
blueskies a blue screen is just ur computer telling u it or you did something it wasnt suppose to. It is an option, which u can change , instead of ur comp shutting down it shows "the blue screen of death" in here u can read the error message and possibly fix/prevent wut u did or ur comp did.

and about your old comp running slow that was probably spyware/viruses or too many unfragmented files. That is wut happened to my cousins computer and mine (before i had Spybot S&D and ad-aware)

Edited by Destructo, 06 August 2005 - 06:42 PM.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

I have Cleanup on my system - when should I be using it?

You can use CleanUp! anytime you want - it is just a handy little tool that cleans up all the temporary Internet files stored on your computer for you in one single step. You can do this yourself manually, of course, but most people tend to find it cumbersome to have to remember to clear out everything before they shut down their browser.

I ran ErrorNuker check (didn't buy yet) & it said I had 79 errors! How can that be?

Last, but certainly not least, I also run maintenance from the control panel (disk cleanup) and defrag when needed.

Sounds like there are some issues on your system that need to be dealt with. I've never used ErrorNuker before, but before you shell out the money to pay for the program to get your errors fixed, I'd suggest you download and scan your PC with WinASO Registry Optimizer and fix whatever's wrong with it first. Note that the trial version of WinASO will only correct ten errors at a go, so you'll probably have to do a couple more scans before the checks start coming up clean. You can skip the 'Speed Up System' and 'Repair Internet Explorer' steps if you like, although it probably wouldn't hurt to let WinASO optimize those settings for you.

Edited by cassykins, 07 August 2005 - 02:50 AM.

yuetching

yuetching

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

REcently there has been these problems on my com.

Like script debugger popup and runtime error popups or line error when I open webpages.

In addition, my laptop kps hibernating after being unused for a while, with flash ocx showing that it's not available.

I checked what problems there are, I am not able to paste them so I list them briefly below, would appreciate any help :

HKClass\CLSID....sytem32 plugin ocx does not exist at the specified locatn

HKLM does not exist at the specified locatn

RegKey : HKCLASS\.b +
ValueName : ShellEx
Value :
The Application ID () is not valid. ( does not exist)

It also shows my etrust does not exist at the specific locatn

Many other documents which I have altered also shows invalid shortcuts.

The above r the problems that show up.

It's getting irritating when opening webpages with the above.

Could u provide advice to solve the above w/o reformatting, esp the script debugger popup and runtime error popups or line error when I open webpages?

I have surfed many webpages for help, but I dun understand the jargon. Have read the msgs on the forum below, but seems same problem as me.

As I was surfing for help, I randomly installed this problem XAMPP, hoping it will help.What is this program?

Thanks for reading my long msg.

REgards,
Ching