Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

voltage problem

• Please log in to reply

nost

nost

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
VGAP is set as 1.5v and that can go up to 1.7v
VDIMM is set as 2.5v
CORE_VDD 1.7v and that can go up to 1.7v IS MY VOLTAGE RIGHT
AND I BOUGHT A NEW AMD ATHLON 2.8GHZ WHEN I PUT IT IN I PRESS MY POWER ON BUTTON AND NOTHING HAPPENS THE COMPUTER DOESNT EVEN SWITCH ON AND WHEN I PUT MY OLD AMD ATHLON 1.0GHZ IN IT STARTS STRAIGHT AWAY

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY COMPUTER

AND A COUPLE OF TIMES NOW WHEN IM ON GAMES THE COMPUTER JUST RESETS ITSELF AFTER ABOUT 25 MINS, THEN LOADS BACK UP WINDOWS LIKE NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. DOES THE HEATSINK HAVE TO BE ON A CERTAIN WAY. MANT THANKS NOST.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

OK, your vcore voltage seems a tad high but i couldn't tell you exactly what it should be set you without knowing a bit more info on the cpu, but it should probably be about 1.65V.

Also, you said you have an athlon 2.8GHz - i very much doubt this. I expect what you actually have is an athlon 2800+, which runs at approx 2.1 to 2.2GHz. This will be using an FSB of 166MHz.

Can you tell me exactly what CPU you have & the motherboard make & model if possible? This way I can check that your cpu is compatible in that board & how to alter the cpu configuration etc.

Also, you said you upgraded to this cpu from an older one. When you bought the new cpu, did it come with a heatsink/fan or have you used the one that was on the old cpu?

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i have a amd athlon 1.0 ghz in now my mate borrowed me a amd athlon 2.8 ghz processor with heat sink just to see if it worked but my computer wouldnt even power on so i just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas my motherboard is a n2paplite nforce 2 chipset and amd athlon 1.0ghz

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Your voltages look ok then for a 1GHz athlon.
It does sound like it may be overheating though.

You asked about the heatsink :
Firstly, everytime you remove & reinstall the heatsink (eg when swapping cpu's etc) you must clean the old thermal compound off of the heatsink & cpu using a special anti-static cleanser. Then you must reapply fresh thermal compound to the cpu - place a pea sized blob in the middle & spread it over the die of the cpu, then replace the heatsink.

Heatsink orientation :
Yes, it must be fitted in a certain way. When you look at the cpu socket, you will see that one of the 4 sides is deeper than the others, ie it sticks out further. If you look at the heatsink's metal clip, you will notice that one end has a hinged latch on it. This latch must be fitted to the deeper side of the cpu socket, otherwise the heatsink will not sit squarely over the cpu & it will overheat.

Hope this makes sense

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
thanks for the help but i found out what it was it was my graphics card having old drivers and i downloaded the new drivers and windows xp service pack 2 and its working fine so far i contacted microsoft and they told me it was that thanks again nost.

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
does anyone know why when i put a 2.8ghz processor in my computer doesnt turn on thanks nost.

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
did your motherboard support the processor? is the new processor a amd athlon 2800+ or baltron, or athlon 64 bit.

nost

nost

banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
athlon 2.8ghz its not a 2.8ghz+ its a standard 2.8ghz its not 64bit either my motherboard only supports upto 1.4ghz if it is not a + processor any higher than that it has to be a + processor but if my motherboard doesnt support it then there's nothing i can do the procesor maybe faulty??

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi nost

Hi suspect is reason that cpu does not work in your motherboard, is due to the motherboard not supporting it properly.
AMD do not make a 2.8GHz socket A cpu, so I assume the cpu in question is a 2800+ which runs at approx 2GHz.
Apart from using a higher FSB (166MHz usually) than your board will support, it will also use a lower vcore voltage than your 1GHz cpu.

This is a more likely explaination than the cpu being faulty to start with, although it is possible that the cpu may have been damaged by you trying it in your motherboard Eg due to lack of adequate protection from the heatsink/fan or due to the vcore being set to high possibly.