Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

MSN Spaces Keeps Freezing

• Please log in to reply

Sharkstar

Sharkstar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm not really sure if it's in the right place so move it if it isn't.

I tried using the Search function and couldn't find anything on this. My problem is that occasionally when I am using MSN Spaces and I click a link it freezes. This only seems to happen when I'm using MSN Spaces. It doesn't happen any other time on any other web page. It doesn't seem to happen with any particular link, it doesn't happen at the same time every time and it only freezes the windows that have MSN Spaces open. It seems totally random.

I've contacted MSN Spaces and they're first reply told me to clear out my Temporary Internet Files and Internet History. That didn't seem to work.

The second reply told me to uninstall my firewall and anti-spyware software. Yeah right! Well I didn't mind getting rid of my anti-spyware because it was crap anyway. So I shut down my firewall. Stupid idea I know, but I just wanted to try and see if that was the problem. It turns out it wasn't.

After a third reply they told me they would be looking further into this and would contact me. This was a while ago and I'm kinda fed up with them. I understand if Microsoft can't fix this then it's unlikely anyone else will but I thought I may as well give it a try.

I was wondering if anyone on here has come across the same problem or has any idea what the problem could be.

If it makes any difference I use AVG Anti-Virus and ZoneAlarm. I'm also using Windows ME.

Thanks for any help!

- Sharkstar

Advertisements

Sharkstar

Sharkstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey,

A little update. It doesn't seem to always happen in MSN Spaces. If I have already moved onto another website after using my MSN Space Internet Explorer still tends to freeze. I don't know if this helps any but I thought I better mention it.

I have scanned for viruses using my "AVG 7.0 Professional" virus scanner and it found nothing. I downloaded "Ad-Aware SE Personal" and "Spybot - Search & Destroy". Scanned my computer with both and removed any spyware. I still seem to have problems with Internet Explorer freezing while using or after using MSN Spaces.

I found that you guys use a program called "Hijack This" so I downloaded that. I'll leave a log here for anyone to have a look at. I figure it's worth a try.

***Start***

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 16:41:31, on 08/08/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SSDPSRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\MEDIASOURCE\DETECTOR\CTDETECT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SAGEM\SAGEM F@ST 800-840\DSLMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\MY DOCUMENTS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\ADAPTEC\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C82 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S10IC2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C82 Series" /O7 "EPUSB1:" /M "Stylus C82"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SSDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [avgfwsrv] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVG7\AVGFWSRV.EXE /srvfsys
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - Startup: DSLMON.lnk = C:\Program Files\SAGEM\SAGEM F@st 800-840\dslmon.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.e4me.com/start.html
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pdownloader.cab

***End***

Thanks for any help. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

- Sharkey

Sharkstar

Sharkstar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Still nothing? Maybe I should try contacting MSN... AGAIN!