Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU overload? Monster Computer is lagging!

• Please log in to reply

industrial_baby

industrial_baby

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I took this computer from my brother so i could run protools since my old computer finally couldnt handle it anymore. We decided to do a fresh start and reformated. I have ProTools installed again and when i try to play a song it says it is running out of CPU power... when it shouldnt be. I opened up the task manager and it says i use 100% CPU power just to move a plain windows explorer window... why? The PF usuage underneath seems to be pretty low as in not peaking up like the other one.

The specs on this computer:
My motherboard is a intel D865 Perl (Pentium 4 2.80 GHz), im running Windows XP, and i have 1 GB of RAM.

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening??

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Go to processes and kill any unneccesary ones that should help. Never used pro tools so i dont know if it is that which is doing it. Does it lag like that all the time or is it just protools what about other software or games.

industrial_baby

industrial_baby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
There shouldnt be any unnecessary process since i just reformated. It lags all the time - before i even open up any program the regular windows explorer windows lag. Its quite strange... even as i browse this page with no other programs open the scrolling is lagging.

~kelley

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Make sure you have all the latest drivers and check your temps intel cpus will throttle back if they are too hot which happens with intel cpus. So check the temp and clock speed when it is running in windows, cpu-z will tell you what the clock speed is you will need to find something else for temps but a google search should find you something.

industrial_baby

industrial_baby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
well we downloaded and intel active monitor and it immediatly warned me that the temps were to high. We went and bought a new cpu fan and that seemed to work... some. Now the program we wanted to work actually works but yet we still keep getting warnings saying that our temperatures are to high.

My temps at idle are:
170 for Processor Zone (which is right in the beginning of the red)
109 for System Zone 1 (which is the yellow)
129 for System Zone 2 (which is right in the beginning of the red)

and my System Fan 1 is at 3543 RPMs (this is in the middle of that qauge)

hmmmmmm... i am not over clocking either. Is there a way to speed up my fan even faster? If it only shows it being in the middle maybe that means it should go higher? Is it possible that this is just the temps it runs at since atleast it is running programs now?!?

thanks for any help guys...

industrial_baby

industrial_baby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
is there some sort of bigger better fan that i should put in? what is the best fan out there for this kind of problem. My brother was telling me about some sort of liquid fan... whats that?

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
It is impoortant to know that many mainbaords will report the CPU temperature incorrectly buy as much as 20 degrees celsius. So sometimes it is wise to check with your own sense of temperarture if it feels like it is running hot (touch the heatsink)

I have seen several CPU's overheating because whoever has attached the heatsink to the processor has used both the heat transfer sticker on the heatsink, and then used heatsink paste sawell (uesually to much heatsink paste aswell).

Have you installed all the necessary drivers for your mainbaord?

industrial_baby

industrial_baby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I will have my husband touch it tonight to see how hot he feels it is running. We installed the new fan and all we installed with it was this liquidy silver stuff that they told us to put on the cpu before putting the fan over it. They said that without it it would overheat. It seems like thats pretty hot to be running all the time. After its been off all day and then right after it starts we look at the monitor and it says its that high. I guess it could be wrong... but if it think its wrong will it be throttling back before it should be? I still wonder if i should get some new snazzy fan... but id hate to pay for it and then it wouldnt help...

kelley

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
There is soem good cooling equipment at this link

http://www.3dcool.co...ducts.asp?id=21

A case fan or two may assist somewhat if you dont have one.