Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smitfraud.c - no desktop(XP) [resolved]

• Please log in to reply

wanderer

wanderer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
help :tazz:
User account in XP shows Smitfraud.c blue screen no icons. Other accounts show bitmap wallpaper no icons.
Using taskmanager will not let me run iexplorer.exe or explorer.exe
Have run CleanUp CWSScreadder & Spybot S&D.
HiJack This file below:
posted from old backup machine ;)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:21:58 PM, on 8/5/2005
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmiaqsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wmisrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\HJK\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://default.home
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dellnet.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: XMLDP Class - {60371670-81B9-4d06-9C42-4DEC1AABE62B} - C:\WINDOWS\xmllib.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0E1230F8-EA50-42A9-983C-D22ABC2EED3B} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE NvQTwk,NvCplDaemon initialize
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAV Agent] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\navapw32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell|Alert] C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\DAMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAPing] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citianywhere\CAPing.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 01] "C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPClient.exe" -l
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Services] service.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Explorer] explorer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSGuard spyware remover] C:\Program Files\PSGuard\PSGuard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SRFirstRun] rundll32 srclient.dll,CreateFirstRunRp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SchedulingAgent] mstinit.exe /firstlogon
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Explorer] explorer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SMSSU] C:\WINDOWS\System32\SMSSU.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Tmntsrv32] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tmntsrv32.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Win32res] C:\WINDOWS\win32res.exe
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\hotsync.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Camio Viewer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell Computer\Dell Image Expert\IXApplet.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG311v2 Smart Configuration.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR WG311v2 Adapter\wlancfg5.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Provider (apee) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msnmsgr.exe" -netsvcs (file missing)
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: MySql - Unknown owner - C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt (file missing)
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: RpcService (Rpc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcservice.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe

Advertisements

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Welcome wanderer to Geeks to Go!

We'll need to transport some files from the computer you are now using, to your infected computer.

Download smitRem.exe and save the file to your desktop.
Right click on the file and extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.
So you'll get a new folder called smitrem on your desktop.
I want you to put that folder on cd, floppy or usb-stick.

On your infected computer, boot again in safe mode and open your task manager again.
Now insert the cd, floppy or usb-stick where you saved the smitrem folder in your infected computer.

In your Task Manager, click 'applications' (first tab).
Click the New Task button.
Cick browse.

Now browse to the drive where your floppy, usb-stick or cd is present (could be A or D or E or F.. you'll see..)
Search for that smitrem folder.
Right click on the smitrem folder and choose: Copy

Now browse again via Task Manager to My Documents or Program Files.
Right click somewhere in there, right click and choose: Paste
Now open the smitrem folder you just copied and pasted and click the file: RunThis.bat
Then click open.
In the window where it says 'Create new task', click OK.

Normally, you'll have to drag the different windows you'll see to left or to right, because normally they will open on top of each other and you wont see the command window the tool starts that is under it.
You'll see a blue window now.
Follow the prompts on screen.
Wait for the tool to complete.

When done, in Task Manager, click 'shut down' from the menu on top and click restart. Your computer will reboot now.
Reboot to normal mode and post a current hijackthis log in your next reply. There's more trouble here.

wanderer

wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks q2i2r4,
I'd already taken SmitRem.exe after reading another post (http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=49058)
and also followed the Repair windows XP - How to perform an In-Place Upgrade from the Windows XP forum.
The Smitfraud.c bmp is gone but explorer & iexplorer are still DOA, & no start menu taskbar or icons on any accounts.

Current HiJackThis log;
Scan saved at 9:13:43 AM, on 8/6/2005

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://default.home
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dellnet.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell|Alert] C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\DAMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CAPing] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Citianywhere\CAPing.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 01] "C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPClient.exe" -l
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\Citianywhere\CA\IPInsight\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Explorer] C:\Windows\explorer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SMSSU] C:\WINDOWS\System32\SMSSU.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Tmntsrv32] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Tmntsrv32.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [AVGW] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgw.exe /RUNONCE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Camio Viewer.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell Computer\Dell Image Expert\IXApplet.exe
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG311v2 Smart Configuration.lnk = C:\Program Files\NETGEAR WG311v2 Adapter\wlancfg5.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Provider (apee) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msnmsgr.exe" -netsvcs (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG6 Service (AvgServ) - GRISOFT s.r.o - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: RpcService (Rpc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcservice.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe

SmitRem log if it helps:

smitRem log file
version 2.3

by noahdfear

The current date is: Sat 08/06/2005
The current time is: 2:39:46.65

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ShudderLTD key present! Running LTDFix!

ShudderLTD key was successfully removed! ;)

Pre-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

PSGuard

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

oleadm.dll
wp.bmp
logfiles

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

oleadm.dll

~~~ Icons in System32 ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~ Wininet.dll ~~~

CLEAN! :)

Will await further instructions!
TIA :tazz:
Regards, wanderer

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Did you run Ewido and Panda?

Can you post me their logs?

I'll check the HijackThislog in the meantime.

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Download FixO by Miekiemoes and unzip it.
Make sure all the files remain in the unzipped folder.
Click FixO.bat and run it.
When it's finished, press a button and notepad will open with some text in it.
Copy and paste the content of it in your next reply together with a new hijackthislog.

wanderer

wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Running ewido now.
Panda asks me to pick a specific virus to fix on the download but doestn't list SmitFraud or PSGuard...suggestions.
I'll follow up on your latest post when ewido is finished.
Thanks,
wanderer

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Are we talking about the same scan:
ActiveScan

I clicked it, it will ask you to download an ActiveX component. Then it will download a database and scan the computer. When it's done it will give you a change to save the report.

Let's first to FixO, than try Panda again.

wanderer

wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
O.K.
Here we go:
ewio log:
˙ž- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

e w i d o s e c u r i t y s u i t e - S c a n r e p o r t

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

+ C r e a t e d o n : 1 0 : 5 1 : 0 3 A M , 8 / 6 / 2 0 0 5

+ R e p o r t - C h e c k s u m : D D 2 6 C A 5 4

+ S c a n r e s u l t :

H K L M \ S O F T W A R E \ M i c r o s o f t \ I n t e r n e t E x p l o r e r \ E x t e n s i o n s \ { c 9 5 f e 0 8 0 - 8 f 5 d - 1 1 d 2 - a 2 0 b - 0 0 a a 0 0 3 c 1 5 7 a } - > S p y w a r e . A l e x a : C l e a n e d w i t h b a c k u p

: : R e p o r t E n d

FIXO REPORT

running from ---
C:\fixo\FixO

StartPAge.O Removal batch 1.00

by miekiemoes

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
existing bad files:
-----------------------------------------------------
C:\WINDOWS\hosts present

existing important bad keys:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe]
"Debugger"="C:\\WINDOWS\\explorer32dbg.exe"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplore.exe]
"Debugger"="C:\\WINDOWS\\iexplore_dbg.exe"

Merging Registry----------

Deleting Files-------------

Searching for files not deleted:

Searching for keys not deleted:

HIJACK THIS
Scan saved at 11:01:23 AM, on 8/6/2005

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [AVGW] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgw.exe /RUNONCE
O23 - Service: AVG6 Service (AvgServ) - GRISOFT s.r.o - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe

wanderer

wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'll go on to the Panda scan now.
Thanks for all this :tazz:
wanderer

wanderer

wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: ;) :) q2i2r4 :( :( :woot:

After Reboot taskbar and icons are back and exporer & iexplorer are working.

Running ActiveScan direct from the XP machine now.

Donation definetly on the way.

Want to take a look at the HiJackTthis log from the old machine for me or should I start a new thread.

Many, many thanks :wub:

Advertisements

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Please hold, I'm not happy yet. Let's finish this one first. Then you can start a new topic for the other machine and I'll have a look at that one too.

Please go here: Jotti Virus Scan

Click the "browse" button and locate these files one by one:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcservice.exe

Click "Open", then click the "Submit" button. Copy the results and paste them here.

Please download FileFind from Atribune.
Unzip the file and save it to your desktop.

To run FileFind, please do the following:
  • Click on FileFind.exe
  • In the box labeled "Enter the directory to search"
  • Enter Drive eg.. C:\
[*]In the box labeled "Enter the file to search"
  • Enter services.exe to search for the file(s)
[*]Now click on the "Find" button
[*]Once the utility has found the files click on "Export"
[*]This will save a text file to your C:\ drive as "Export.txt"
[*]Double click on Export.txt, copy and paste this information in your next post

wanderer

wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
rpcservice.exe is not in windows\system32 directory
Search does not find it anywhere

wanderer

wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
O.K: Here we go:

Service load: 0% 100%

File: wmisrv.exe
MD5 27edfbcc85e7850f310ca1d59bebd0f4
Packers detected: UPX
Scanner results
AntiVir Found BDS/Rohbot.A
ArcaVir Found Trojan.Rohbot.A
Avast Found nothing
AVG Antivirus Found BackDoor.Generic.AAB
BitDefender Found Backdoor.Rohbot.A
ClamAV Found nothing
Dr.Web Found BackDoor.Rohbot
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
Fortinet Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found Backdoor.Win32.Rohbot.a
NOD32 Found nothing
Norman Virus Control Found nothing
UNA Found nothing
VBA32 Found nothing

rpcservice.exe does not exist in the directory

Service load: 0% 100%

File: wmiaqsrv.exe
MD5 c75a6d1647dff136cbe7601a471a66e6
Packers detected: UPX
Scanner results
AntiVir Found nothing
ArcaVir Found nothing
Avast Found nothing
AVG Antivirus Found BackDoor.Generic.AFS
BitDefender Found nothing
ClamAV Found nothing
Dr.Web Found BackDoor.Rohbot
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
Fortinet Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found Backdoor.Win32.Rohbot.a
NOD32 Found nothing
Norman Virus Control Found nothing
UNA Found nothing
VBA32 Found nothing

FileFind results:

C:\I386\SERVICES.EXE - 101376 Bytes
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\services.exe - 101376 Bytes
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE\services.exe - 101376 Bytes

g2i2r4

g2i2r4

retired HiJack Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 5,080 posts
Let's stop the service of rpcservice still trying to run.

Go to Start > Run and type in Services.msc then click OK

Click the Extended tab.

Scroll down until you find the service.

Click once on the service to highlight it.

Click Stop

Right-Click on the service.

Click on 'Properties'

Select the 'General' tab

Click the Arrow-down tab on the right-hand side on the 'Start-up Type' box

From the drop-down menu, click on 'Disabled'

Click the 'Apply' tab, then click 'OK'

The service is now stopped and disabled.

Open HijackThis
click on "None of the above, just start the program".
click on the "Config" button (bottom right),
click on "Misc Tools"
click on "Delete an NT Service" (a window will pop up)
Enter the below item into that field (make sure there are NO spaces before or after the name):

Rpc

Click OK.

It should pull up information about the service, then ask if you want to reboot. Click YES.

Now let's kill those two files we checked.

Download the Killbox.
Unzip it to the desktop

Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. Place the following lines (complete paths) in bold in the "Full Path of File to Delete" box in Killbox, and click the red button with the white X on it after each

For these file, put a mark next to "Delete on Reboot". Copy and paste each file into the file name box, then click the red button with the X after each. It will ask you if you want to reboot each time you click it, answer NO until after you've pasted the last file name, at which time you should answer Yes.

If your computer does not restart automatically, please restart it manually.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, press F8.
3) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
4) Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.

For additional help in booting into Safe Mode, see the following site:
http://www.pchell.co.../safemode.shtml

Open HijackThis
Place a check against each of the following, making sure you get them all and not any others by mistake:

Close all programs leaving only HijackThis running.
Click on Fix Checked when finished and exit HijackThis.

Reboot to normal mode and run the Panda now. Post me the scanlog and a fresh HijackThis log to check.

wanderer

wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

maybe something I need for work access!

I'll take it out - can reinstall... if neccessay