Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HUGE PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I just came back from a month lo ng vacation and my computer is acting wierd. When I turn it on it immediately takes me to screen that says:

We apologiza for the inconveniece, but Windows did not start succesfully. A recent hardware or software may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, started unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Then it gives me these 5 choices:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally

Then it gives me a counter to when it will start automatically

No matter what option I choose it shows the blue HP Screen, flases another blue screen for a split second, and then returns the first screen.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Justin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you cannot get any of the options to run, this is probably the quickest route

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

If you want to give safe mode with command prompt another go you could run this if it lets you

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;304449

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
How do I know if I have an OEM operating sytem?

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
MORE INFORMATION
When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

I'm not getting any of those errors though :-/

And I can't get into any safe modes >.<

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Also, my XP came pre-installed so I don't have the disk to do it again.

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
anybody?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If your OS was pre installed, you have an OEM.

Step 1. Unplug computer
Step 2. Go have a nice dinner with someone you like
Step 3. Return to the computer
Step 4. Compliment it profusely
Step 5. Restart computer and cross fingers & eyes and pray
Step 6. If it doesn't start successfully, turn off, restart and tap "delete" at boot
Step 7. Look in BIOS for a "return to default" or something like that
Step 8. Post back and let us know what happens

Johanna

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
:tazz:

My girlfriend and I just ordered pizza lol.

Is there a certain amount of time I need to wait before I plug it back in? Like should I allow so and so to cool off before trying again?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Was your computer plugged in while you were away? Do you have a UPS or surge protecter in between the outlet and the plug? How do you connect to the internet- is it an "always on" connection?

I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking maybe there was a power spike or dip while you were away. With luck, maybe we can jolt the comp back to right. If you have a cable modem, unplugging will force it to find a new lease. If you have a heat issue, unplugging will give it time to cool. Either way, you get a pizza with your lady friend instead of a headache while we wait. ;-)
Johanna

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Haha I like your Logic :tazz:

My mom's comp (the one I'm on) runs on a surge protector, but the one I'm on doesn't ;) because it's in a temporary location.

I'm on an always-on Bellshouth DSL connection.

And the computer was plugged in while I was away.

It's funny though because this computer is in the same room about 2 feet away from the other, I guess surge protectors work 0.0

Advertisements

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Restarted it, went to the same screen.

Restarted while pushing Delete, now it's stuck on the blue screen that says HP invent. :'(

Then I did it again while pressing Delete and it went back to the old screen :/

Edited by logan11, 05 August 2005 - 05:30 PM.

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
This guy at HP is a dumb*ss :tazz:

Justin Long: Yes, we have two computers, a Dell and an HP. I am on my mom's Dell right now.
Stuart S: Is it possible for you to send the whole page as an attachment to my supervisors e-mail account?
Justin Long: yes, that is possible.
Stuart S: Please send it to my supervisors e-mail account i.e., [email protected]
Justin Long: Can you give me an ETA on how long it will take to get a response? I work off the computer and it is vital for me to get it running ASAP.
Stuart S: Justin, we need to communicate through chat support to get the issue resolve.
As soon as you send it to my supervisors e-mail account I can look at the whole page.
Justin Long: i sent tit
Justin Long: sent it*
Stuart S: Please give me 5 minutes to check out with my supervisor.
Justin Long: Alright, thank you for your time :)
Stuart S: You are welcome.
Stuart S: Please give me 5 more minutes as my supervisor was away from his desk.
Justin Long: no problem
Stuart S: Thank you for being online.
I have received the screen shot.
Stuart S: You have mentioned that in choice B you get 5 choices, by using down arrow key select Last Know Good Configuration and press enter.
Justin Long: I tried that and it gives me the XP Startup screen, then it gives me the HP screen, and then it goes back to the screen I started at
Justin Long: every choice goes back to that first screen
Stuart S: Okay.
Stuart S: Do you have WinXP startup disc with you?
Justin Long: I have one, but it's for a Dell computer, I've already put it inside the HP and tried it but nothing happens :-/
Justin Long: And XP came pre-installed so I don't have a disk
Justin Long: Ill be right back. emergency in real life
Stuart S: Do you have any important information stored on the computer?
Justin Long: i have software but that can be replaced
Justin Long: im more worried about losing my 4 year old music collection.but if i have to rid my computer of it to get it to work i will
Justin Long: anyway ill Be Right Back
Stuart S: Justin, in that case I would suggest you remove the hard disk drive connect to another computer as secondary hard drive.
Stuart S: Then transfer the music collection to primary hard drive and place back the hard drive.
Stuart S: After that you can go ahead with performing recovery.
Stuart S: Are you connected to chat support?
Stuart S: Visit the following link :
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314079
Note: - The above-mentioned URL will take you to a non-HP Web site. HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.
Justin Long: ok im back
Justin Long: my brother fell down the stairs and was bleeding ;)
Stuart S: Did you receive my previous messages?
Justin Long: Yes sir
Justin Long: and im not worried about losing the music, i just have to rip them back onto my computer
Justin Long: what am i supposed to be doing at the microsoft site?
Stuart S: The Microsoft link that I have provided will guide you in creating a boot of disk for Windows XP operating system and tries booting the computer.
If the issue persists then you need to connect this hard drive to another computer and backup the data.
Justin Long: a floppy boot disk? and cna i do it off of this computer?
Stuart S: You can do it from any computer which has Win XP Operating System.
Justin Long: awesome
Justin Long: the link you sent put me at the Microsoft Support homepage, where shou I go from there?
Justin Long: should*
Justin Long: http://support.micro...id=1173&sid=182
Justin Long: is that where i should be?
Stuart S: Microsoft web site will provide the files required for the computer to boot, please copy those files to floppy.
Justin Long: but where on tge website are the files located??
Stuart S: You need to copy those files from different WinXP computer.
Justin Long: im thoroughly confused on what I should be doig
Justin Long: doing*

I'm justin and hes stuart, and I have no idea what he's trying to say, and english obviously wasn't his first language

Edited by logan11, 05 August 2005 - 05:37 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Okay...Unplug the comp from the wall, pop the side of the comp off and find the mobo battery (probably about the shape and size of a quarter) Pop it out, let it sit for a few minutes, put it back in. Plug in the comp and try to boot again. Post back and let me know what happens. (This is the short version of clearing CMOS) My kids' ancient HP taught me this trick.

Johanna

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
could you give me a hint as to where this battery is? I don't see it at first glance and I don't want to gut my computer again if i dont have to

logan11

logan11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
im recalling this from memory... is it in the green chip under all the wires?