Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Protection Error. Please restart your comp

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an old 98 desktop and I can't get it to start up. I don't know what happened to it because it's never been mine before, it was the sister's and they killed it. When I turn it on, I get the "Windows Protection Error. Please restart your computer" error message. I can only go into safe mode. I can't figure out what to do though. I open msconfig and everything appears fine. A friend said I need to disable something in Safe Mode Command Prompt Only, so I opened Edit and tried but... eh... I don't know how to work it. I need more details. Like, step-by-step. :tazz: Like, step-by-step right after you select the first thing in the start-up menu. I know I'm a n00blet at this. :/ Thanks in advance.

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Start your machine in dos... just choose Safe mode command prompt

Once there, type in scanreg /restore note the space between scanreg and the forward slash.

Then choose one of the restore points. If one fails, choose another.