Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Router built-in NAT Firewall

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey everyone,

I have a generic router that was given to me by a friend and he says it has a built in firewall. This made me feel better, but I have read that it needs to be configured in order to effectively work as a firewall. Is there a way to do this without knowing what company made the router?

I tried Google to figure out the answer, but have come up empty. I thought I might try here. Thanks!

Advertisements

antichrist666

antichrist666

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Do you have a picture or anything? No logos or model numbers? If there's nothing of that sort, why don't you just ask your friend what kind of router it is?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try getting into the router's interface (usually by putting it's ip address into your web browser) and snooping around for something mentioning the firewall and for that matter...the make and model

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I talked to my friend. He said he ordered it from the internet a few months ago and knows nothing about it cuz he threw away the box. Looking on the router itself, all it says is "Broadband Router" on the front. On the bottom it just has a UPC bar code. It looks like:

Trade Name:
Model No. : (UPC bar code here)
Serial No. :

So, I hope there is a way to figure out all that info through its connection to the computer somehow... :tazz:

Also, I am not sure how to get into the browser's interface because I am not sure how to find the router's ip address. Is there a common one I could try or get lucky with?

Sorry that I don't have any info for you guys. This must be impossible to help me with. ;)

antichrist666

antichrist666

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, if the router uses the IP address to access the configuration menu (some don't), then it probably uses 192.168.1.1 as the default address. You'll just want to go to your web browser and put that in. If it works, you'll be taken to the config menu.

If you want to find what kind of router it is, look on the case for any sort of number or letter combination that looks like it might be unique. Google it and you just might get lucky.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

look on the case for any sort of number or letter combination that looks like it might be unique

Nothing out of the ordinary. Although it does say "CPU:RISC" on it. I have never seen this before so I don't know if it is common or not. And the 192.168.1.1 didn't work either.

*sigh* :tazz: I will just wait till I get a new router to tackle this problem. I'm starting to get the feeling that this router may be so generic that actually using it's settings may be a moot point.

Unless anyone has a suggestion they want to throw in? I'm all ears. ;)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try 0.1 instead o f 1.1

phirewallz

phirewallz

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Click Start, RUN, and CMD or command if 98
then type IPCONFIG ... the router should be the gateway address.
type this address in Internet Explorer and see if you get a web interface. If not, try telnet (IP address). It should at least tell you the brand...

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hey, good call phirewallz. It worked. I snooped as much as I could and still got no information on make or model. But, I do see alot of setting that I don't recognize. I will look more into it later... :tazz: