Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet login problems

• Please log in to reply

lackofharmony

lackofharmony

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Recently my computer has been having alot of problems. Constant freezing, startup problems and more. But most of that is under control but I'm left with one problem. Whenever I try to use an internet based log in function (e.g. msn, emails, internet shops) it fails to load the page (for example with gmail on firefox I get an error saying "The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.google.com."). It does this is both internet browsers, but not on a computer connected up to the router through a hub. This computer also seems to have no problem logging into most forums. Does anyone have any clue whats causing this? I have deleted 11gigs of my 17gig harddrive in attempt to get the computer working and have run virus and spyware scans with newly downloaded and older programs.

Edit: my apology if this is thread should be in another forum

Edited by lackofharmony, 05 August 2005 - 12:56 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You haaven't told us a lot about what preceded this, was it malware or system problems, etc.. this may be why you haven't gotten much response.

One very simple thing to do is run System File Checker. Go to Start>Run, type in sfc and hit OK, and just follow the prompts. Then come back and tell us what happened and some more about the problems