Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Smilies

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
I have used the smilies/moving picture scenes for some time seemingly without problems.

I never go to the well advertised site for them but "bootleg " them from emails send to me.

Now I am hearing from various sources that they are not good to use; may contain bugs, spam, tracking device, even viruses.

Yet several friends of mine use them continually and report no problems such as slowing down of PC, difficulty with programs etc.

What is recommended by the Geek Squad? :tazz:

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
the geek squad

lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
didn't know we worked at best buy.....anyway...anytime you get stuff like smilies or emoticons or msn winks from most free locations you open yourself up to malware....if you haven't had issues yet then you're lucky that you haven't hit the wrong link.....as with anything else downloaded or saved from the internet....just be carefull and be sure your virus/malware scanners are up to date

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
OOPS got my terminology wrong - I do know the difference but failed to utilize your correct wording - Geeks to Go.

Thanks for the info re smilies and guess I will reluctantly give them up - not worth the trouble even though I did enjoy them.

Thanks for your time:)

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi nondaj.
If you use Yahoo email with Internet Explorer (they don't work with Mozilla Firefox)
it comes with an entire list of smilies we can put on our emails...I am positive they are safe, unlike the others.

Check it out...and Yahoo email is free. :woot:

Sincerely, Janie.
P.S. They have smilies similar to the ones here at this site.

:hug: ;) :( :yes: :huh: :tazz: :( :) :wub: :woot: :tazz:

Edited by fflowergirl, 05 August 2005 - 09:29 PM.