Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop program loading at startup

• Please log in to reply

gbscuba

gbscuba

• Pip
  • 4 posts
How do you stop programs from automatically loading when my computer is turned on? They are programs that I have, but I don't want them to load when my computer starts up, I want to click on them when I want to use them. Where do I go to set what is loaded and what is not?

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm afraid to go poking around on my own and mess something up!

Just Learning.

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi gbscuba and welcome to Geekstogo!

One of the prefered methods for users is going to start>run then typing in MSCONFIG.

Go to the startup tab.

Uncheck what you don't want to startup. then reboot.

To re-enable it, just go back into MSCONFIG and recheck the items you want and reboot.

Hope that helps

:tazz:

Excal

gbscuba

gbscuba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, it worked but there was still one program that loads at startup that wasn't listed there. It is Quick Time. I don't use it much and I didn't want it running all of the time. When I go to add and remove programs, it's listed there. Why does it load if its not at msconfig startup?

gbscuba

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Download and install Mike Lin's StartUpCPL. It will put a tab in your control panel and you can control start ups from there. QuickTime is a pernicious program that constantly tries to launch on boot.

Johanna