Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Freezes

• Please log in to reply

heatsky

heatsky

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Gateway 1.4 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 120 GB main drive, 180 MB slave. Win XP w/ Service Pack 1.

I use the computer mainly for audio production, but a DSL router and a few various common programs (Word, etc.) as well as a reputable utility program. Since I need max CPU most times, virus/spyware applications are turned "off" in the background.

About two weeks ago, I was forced to reformat my main drive after my audio production software (Pro Tools) started behaving badly (got the blue screen). I reinstalled XP, and updated to Service Pack 1. My audio software manufacturers suggest not installing SP 2 as it can interfere with the program.

The problem is the computer has started to "freeze" intermittently. It doesn't matter what I'm doing -- surfing, recording, etc. -- every now and then the machine will lock up and I have to do a hard restart.

I've scanned all disks, checked the registry, etc., and ran several virus and spyware programs, but it's clean every time.

I never had the freeze problem prior to initializing the disk. Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try this to be sure
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

also try this http://www.memtest86.com/

run it on one stick of ram at a time

heatsky

heatsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried AdAware, and found the nasty Alexa lurking in there. No other malware program could find it. It seems to have fixed the problem for now! thanks a billion. I posted a log in the other forum.

heatsky

heatsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Guess I spoke too soon ... after running Adware, etc., and removing ALexa, I'm still having freeze problems. It may be just me, but it seems to happen only during and after having run Mozilla Firefox. Any other suggestions?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do the whole malware proccess to be sure....also can you post any red X or yellow ! from your event viewer...bot the events and their details....try narrowing it down to the events that correspond to the times your system has frozen.

heatsky

heatsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I went thru the malware thing again -- nothing found. The freeze seems to happen either when Firefox is running, or nothing at all is running.