Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled Win 98 after viruses hit

• Please log in to reply

MSRan51

MSRan51

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Help after the Gold thing and spy thing virus. I could not get into windows so I finally reformated and no I have no sound,monito is messed up and no burner shows up it was Nero not sure what version but it is a Mercury Cd Rom combo.
Here are the specs I could get. Thanks for any help. I've almost pulled my hair out over this thing :tazz:
If there are things I don't need and can take out please let me know also...
Marilyn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installed Hotfixes

Software Licenses

Software Versions

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: George
Profile Date: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:09:04 PM
Advisor Version: 7.0t

Operating System System Model
Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998) ECS M810D 1.0
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.10 gigahertz AMD Duron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: ECS M810D 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 04/02/01
Drives Memory Modules c,d
20.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
19.01 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CDWRITER IDE5224 [CD-ROM drive]
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (20.01 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART Driver 990 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 512 MB
Slot '1' has 512 MB
Slot '2' is Empty
Slot '3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 20.01 GB 19.01 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
No details available None detected
Controllers Display
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) [Display adapter]
ViewSonic EA771B [Monitor] (15.7"vis, December 1998)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x) Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
MPU-401 Compatible
Wave Device for Voice Modem
Communications Other Devices
HSP56 MR [Modem]

Microsoft Virtual Private Networking Adapter
SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
primary APIPA Address: 169.254.201.205 / 16
Physical Address: FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

Networking Dns Server: 205.188.146.145
PC/AT Enhanced Keyboard (101/102-Key)
Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse
USB Root Hub (3x)
Virus Protection [Back to Top]
No details available
Missing Microsoft Security Hotfixes [Back to Top]
No details available
Installed Microsoft Hotfixes [Back to Top]
Internet Explorer
SP1 (SP1)

Click here to see all available Microsoft security hotfixes for this computer.

Marks a HotFix that verifies correctly
Marks a HotFix that fails verification
(note that failing hotfixes need to be reinstalled)
Unmarked HotFixes lack the data to allow verification

Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and small companies.

Software Licenses [Back to Top]

Belarc - Advisor 79ef2aca
Microsoft - Internet Explorer 55736-OEM-1059303-04394
Microsoft - Windows 98 21205-OEM-0075405-02371 (Key: HYG6Q-G2YCC-HBGTC-3QKFM-WYMYJ)e

Software Versions (mouse over * for details, click * for location) [Back to Top]
AdpBrowser Application Version 1, 0, 0, 49 *
America Online - AOL Connectivity Service Version 3.0.0.1 *
America Online Inc. - System Information Application Version 1, 0, 0, 0 *
America Online Version 9.02.000 *
America Online, Inc - AOL TopSpeed™ Monitor Version 2, 0, 0, 0 *
America Online, Inc. - AOL Service Libraries Version 1.0.0.6 *
AOLSP Scheduler Version 1, 0, 0, 74 *
Apple Computer, Inc. - QuickTime QuickTime 6.5 *
Belarc, Inc. - Advisor Version 7.0t *
Eastman Software, Inc., A Kodak Business - Imaging for Windows® Version 1.01.1311 *
FREE! Instant Messenger Version 5.9.3690.0 *
Microsoft ® Windows Script Host Version 5.6.0.6626 *
Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 6.00.2800.1106 * Microsoft Corporation - Windows Telephony Version 1.0.501 *
Microsoft imgstart Version 1, 0, 0, 1 *
Microsoft® Plus! for Windows® 95 Version 4.40.500 *
Microsoft® Chat Version 2.1 *
Microsoft® FrontPage™ Version 2.0.2.1118 *
Microsoft® NetMeeting™ Version 2.1 *
Microsoft® NetShow Version 2.0.0.912 *
MindVision - Installer VISE 2.8.3 Version 2.8.3 *
Play Games *
Progressive Networks, Inc. - RealPlayer (32-bit) Version 4.01 Version 4.0.20.155 *
RealNetworks, Inc. - RealPlayer (32-bit) Version 6.0.9.584 *
VCD PowerPlayer *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you reinstalled did you use the computer maker's factory disk, or another version of Windows? The factory disk should have all the drivers, or is this a "homemade" computer? You may also have a separate disk for drivers. And what is the make and model of computer. It has good specs for a 98 machine but you're running an older version of 98 which may not "see" the devices. You can pretty much always download the correct drivers from the device or computer maker's website, but you may need to know the device part numbers.

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
When I bought it,it didn't have an OS on it so I installed the Win98.It came with a SystemBoard PC 133 disk but it was already installed. All the drivers are on it. I tried to reinstall it but had no luck as of yet probably not doing something right. It did work fine before.It would automaticly install plug and play devices. I don't know much about all this but here is what my book says
Mainboard has a Socket-462 for AMD K7 type CPU's you can install any one of these processors on the main board.
The mainboard supports Socket-462 processor front-side bus speeds 200MHz
Mainboard uses T-Bird chipset which intergrates a 128-bit AGP Graphics Acceelerator and provides a optional 4X AGP slot for highly graphics display.
CPU Plug and Play through firmware, Ultra DMA 33/66/100 function.
Mainboard has a built -in AC97 Codec,provides am AMR slot to support Audio and Modem applications and has a built-in 10BaseT/100BaseTXNetwork Interface.
Mainboard has an extended set of ATX I/O Ports
Also says AGP Driver VGA\AGP\SiS730S
Drivers and software VGA\SiS730S
Sound\Driver\Sis
Sound\Gamut
3 Deep Software 3Deep\3Deep\3.3

Hope this isn't confusing to you,,,it sure is to me. I tried to install but it did not work still. Thanks Marilyn

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
This sounds a lot like some of the motherboards HP used in it's machnes, they're made by ASUS and the part number is on the board. Surprisingly I've been able to download manuals for them just by putting this into Google

partno. filetype:pdf

where partno. is the number on the board.

Your lack of ability to see the cd-rw might be chipset drivers.

There are plugnplay settings in the BIOS setup. It mentioned that pnp was in the firmware.

One thing is you're running an older OS on a newer board so the OS isn't up to date on the hardware. You may need to look on each device for the part number and go to the device maker's site for drivers. Or you may be lucky and get them from the M/B site.

Edited by Tyger, 06 August 2005 - 01:26 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should have a motherboard CD which will have these drivers on it

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay here goes!! I have worked so much trying to fix this computer if I don't get it this time I'm taking it in and I hate to do that. I can not stand for something to defeat me.. Whenit boots up in the left hand corner it says
American Megatrends Inc.
62-1119-001131-00101111-040301
SiS 740-M810D
I looked inside but not sure if any of this helps...
Amibios 1999
SAA2
7303 or 730S couldn't really tell
PCDDR 266 does any of this make any sense to you.. I had it in the shop 2 years ago and do not know if he load update drivers or anything. This is why I hate to take one in to get work done. What do you do when they update to a new version of Windows and you don't have the disk? I asked when he installed 2000 Profesional on this one and he said even most companys do not even send you the set up disk with new computers now!!
Hope someone has the answers I'm looking for. Thanks,Marilyn

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Forgot to tell you...I do have my motherboard Cd but it will not install it. Says it isn't the right one. So that made me think he may have upgraded and didn't tell me I'm confused....

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would go through the motherboard CD and look at all the ReadMes for information about the devices. The video chip will be near the monitor connector. It looks like you're sort of on your own on this one, you just need to find the make and part number of each device that isn't working, your allies here are the device manager, your own eyes and Google. That's how we all have to do it at times, and it isn't that difficult. Wish you the best of luck and if you get stuck come back and let us help.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

It really wasn't hard to figure out what your mobo is as you gave it to us on your first post..

Operating System System Model
Windows 98 (build 4.10.1998) ECS M810D 1.0

The ECS M810D, is also know as the K7SOM, or PCChips M810D. PCChips made a number of boards under different names.

If THIS is what your motherboard looks like, you can download the drivers from HERE

Murray

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This is real close to it. I did notice the processor is an Intel # on it A70185-001 N27250 1 F07R-128851 01A NIDEC.CORP
I saw while I was inside there V:5.2A

Thanks for any help still trying...Marilyn

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

This is real close to it. I did notice the processor is an Intel # on it  A70185-001      N27250 1    F07R-128851 01A  NIDEC.CORP
I saw while I was inside there V:5.2A 

Thanks for any help still trying...Marilyn

View Post

Are you sure it's the processor that says that as the processor should be covered with the heatsink and CPU fan.. Also, your Everest post shows the processor as an AMD..

Try those drivers I linked you to!!

Murray

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have tried the drivers several times but it always says they aren't compatable.Going nuts on this one....one said I needed a newer version of Windows.Is there anyway to change the drivers with windows. I have windows 2000 on this computer is there anyway to burn a copy from it...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. you said is has a Systemboard PC-133 disk with it..

Have you actually gone into the disk and manually installed the drivers for everything??

Murray

MSRan51

MSRan51

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I found the drivers on the CD but when I installed them it said serious error with driver red dot with X. Then when I finally got it installed and rebooted the monitor came on and went off. When I rebooted and finally got the monitor to stay on it went into safe mode and then I went to the System device hardware there wasn't a monitor there it automaticly takes the EA771B ViewSonic out and I tried it with play and plug and it deleats it. I have played around with different monitors even the SIS ones but still only 16 colors.It worked fine before the virus and I had to reinstall.The PC133 has V7.77B I guess that is the version. You are probably familiar with them but it has Gamut 2000,Deep 3 or something like that for online color. it has an e color in a square box on the cd. Don't know if this is of any importance.. I really thank you for all the time all of you have put in on this. My husband said I can't believe they do this for nothing.I told him only donations. :tazz: Thanks again Marilyn

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Search the disk.. You need to find the Video/graphics folder for your operating system.. You want to install the SIS video drivers..

Murray