Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB wireless mouse won't move

• Please log in to reply

RocketReu

RocketReu

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I am using windows xp on a new Dell computer that has all usb ports (no ps/2). I have a compucessory 30125 wireless, optical, rechargeable mouse. I have used this mouse with several other machines running windows xp (but using a ps/2 port for connection). I have attempted to install the mouse using the "mouse" usb port and other usb ports on the computer but it won't move. The mouse is charged, all the lights on, the mouse connects with the base...it all looks like it works but it will only right click sometimes once but that is it. It does have the "sleeper" power saver mode and I have "awoken" it but it still doesn't move.

I looked at the box and noticed it says compatible with windows 95, 98, 2000, ME and NT but xp is not listed. But I have used it on other machines with xp using the ps2 port. Any ideas?

I tried to search for maybe an additional update to a driver but couldn't find anything. Am I missing something?

RocketReu

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Wireless Mouse USB
Date: 6th AUG- 2005

Need a little bit more information – So we can cross reference: Motherboard Support / USB / Mouse Compatibility / Operating System Support – And also so we can generate a Game Plan

(1) -What Service Pack is installed with WIN-2000 XP?
(2) –Did you load the USB Driver for the Mouse? -
(3) - Do you have other USB peripherals that are working – (USB Verification?)
(4) –What kind of Keyboard are you using? USB – Wireless + (Name & Model)
(5) –What is Model of Dell Computer + Motherboard: ( Name & Model)? Laptop-Desktop – Tower?
(6) –Does Device Manager recognize mouse? – OR Mouse Reception Station
(7) –Does Device Manager recognize any USB Controllers?
(8) –How long have you had computer? Did mouse come INSTALLED with it? – If not what did come installed with it – Did that work?
(9) Other than the box info – Do you have specifications on Mouse?

I did a quick search on this mouse, but could not locate the specs on it – YET – did find information, but nothing on OS.

Jack123

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
move ur mouse's little wireless access point to a better location. and on mine, u had to press two butons (one on the access point and one of the mouse itself) and they searched for each other the first time I connected it. i dont know if that helps or not...probably not.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Will need drivers if you are running on the usb probably, alot of them say plug and play but they arent.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
It also depends on order of installing driver & connecting device:

1 - USB Driver should be INSTALLED & LOADED 1st - WITHOUT DEVICE CONNECTED and TURNED - [ON]

2 - Install USB DRIVER

3 - Restart Computer - & LOAD WINDOWS > this is when the USB Driver is LOADED - (IT IS A WINDOWS OS DRIVER)

4 - Sometimes you can connect device now & Turn [ON] after the restart, & Windows is loaded - but once in awhile you may have to shut down - connect device and restart again.

After device is connected & Turned [ON] >>Plug & Play should find "New Hardware"

The important fact is:

Plug & Play: Has a [DEDICATED DRIVER] that is looking for a device

Not a device looking for a driver

BIG DIFFERENCE -

Jack123

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Maybe you haven't turned it on from the mouse itself and check with batteries!
regards RockyIV

RocketReu

RocketReu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Jack123

Thanks for the help everyone....

I already tried moving the base to test location, I changed the channel to check for channel interference (the receiver has 2 channels). I also checked the batteries (they are rechargeable--took them out, put them back in, and charged them). I also made sure the mouse and receiver are reading each other.

To answer each of Jack123's questions....

(1) -What Service Pack is installed with WIN-2000 XP?
I am using Service Pack 2

(2) –Did you load the USB Driver for the Mouse? -
I did load the driver. I did actually attache the mouse and all the installation steps first and then loaded the driver. When it didn't work, I restarted the machine and it still didn't work. So I uninstalled the physical mouse equipment, turned the machine back on, and "installed" the driver again. Then installed the physical equipment (mouse). All of this was using the USB mouse port. I repeated all the same steps using a different USB port on the back of the machine

(3) - Do you have other USB peripherals that are working – (USB Verification?)
The first port I tried was the "mouse" USB port. The machine came with a dell standard basic USB mouse that does work in that port so the port is okay.

(4) –What kind of Keyboard are you using? USB – Wireless + (Name & Model)
The keyboard is also the Dell keyboard that came with the machine and it is a USB keyboard (not wireless)

(5) –What is Model of Dell Computer + Motherboard: ( Name & Model)? Laptop-Desktop – Tower?
The computer is Dell Tower model GX280 (I don't know the specifications on the motherboard....still learning in that area)

(6) –Does Device Manager recognize mouse? – OR Mouse Reception Station
(7) –Does Device Manager recognize any USB Controllers?

The green light on the mouse receiver turns on green when plugged in to the USB port. The computer does not say "new device found" but note in the bottom right corner that something is in the USB port

(8) –How long have you had computer? Did mouse come INSTALLED with it? – If not what did come installed with it – Did that work?
The machine was installed around February of this year. It was not originally my machine. It is a school/teacher machine that is hooked to a network system. It did come installed with a USB mouse which is what I am using on it since the wireless won't work. It is the same model of computer that I was using previously that the mouse did work on EXCEPT the keyboard and mouse were PS2 ports. The current USB mouse is working

(9) Other than the box info – Do you have specifications on Mouse?
I do have other specifications on the mouse that is on the outside of the box but it is at work. I can get that for you Monday.

Thank you very very much for you help. I hope it is something simple that I am just missing. Should I try uninstalling the driver and starting over? Could it possibly have anything to do with power user rights vs administrative rights? I am the school tech (scary I know) so I have administrative rights which is why I didn't think that mattered.

RocketReu

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Sorry, It took me this long to get back with your problem -

Looks like you are almost there! Lets try this. THIS IS 1 SMART MOUSE!!! But we will catch the little sucker!!

You may have to re-install new WIRELESS USB DRIVER again – but before you shut down – (after you do your reload of driver)
1- Disconnect original USB Mouse from USB Port
2- Shut down by using Keyboard:
3- Press [WINDOWS] Key – Press [UP ARROW] Key 1 time(to Highlight [SHUTDOWN] – Press [ENTER] Key – Press [ARROW KEY] till {SHUTDOWN] is highlighted – Press {TAB] Key untill [OK] Button is raised – Press [ENTER] to Shut Down.
4- Try Power up with no MOUSE & let Windows LOAD & Windows may install NEW DRIVER
5- After Windows is UP – Connect WIRELESS MOUSE in same Port that USB Mouse was in – and see if PLUG & PLAY finds New Hardware – Hopefully WIRELESS Mouse is now functioning?????
6- Only have 1 Mouse in at a time.
7- You may have to power down and restart - keeping WIRELESS MOUSE Connected this time
8- You probably should see Mouse power Up & down during boot up & during Post time then turn back on or cycle again right before Windows Loads during the time you get the last Windows Loading Status Bar – right before Windows Load and remain on while Windows completely loads.

Post back results – and any info about the WIRELESS MOUSE – I have another scheme that might catch this guy – but I will need some more info or verification of things –we think we know??

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 07 August 2005 - 09:28 PM.

RocketReu

RocketReu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you VERY much for your help....I will attempt your suggestions tomorrow. I will post back tomorrow with the results and more details about the mouse if these steps don't catch him. He's been out so long he is starting to smell--maybe he's mad cause he has no tail....

RocketReu

RocketReu

RocketReu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I attempted all the steps and still he got away. I loaded the driver, removed the USB mouse, shut down. Then I rebooted all the way to windows with no mouse at all. I didn't see anything special during startup. I then inserted the wireless mouse in the mouse USB port and the machine did chime recognizing something in that port but it still wouldn't work. I made sure the mouse and base were reading each other. I then tried to "go into" the installed driver section attempting to see if there were any settings or options but nothing that would matter.

I then restarted the machine with the wireless mouse in. After the restart, it still wouldn't work. It acts like it is almost going to move with me but then does nothing. I gave up again after that--work was getting in my way.

The additional specs for the wireless mouse are below. The box does say "compatiable with Windows 95/98/2000/ME/NT. So I would kinda understand except I've used it on other XP machines.

27 MHz
5 buttons, including 3 programmable (I checked that in the settings of the driver software)
scrolling and zooming wheel
smart mouse sleeping mode (I clicked to awaken)

Okay, so I don't have the little paper that came inside...these are from the outside of the box but I don't think any of that info helps you at all.

Called a wireless optical USB/PS2 scrolling five button mouse
model 30125 by compucessory

The installation directions says to turn computer off, insert connector from reciever into mouse port of computer

Turn computer on and insert the driver disk to install mouse driver

Once complete, the mouse control panel will appear on screen. Click on the panel to activate function.

I just realized every time I inserted the disk into a drive, it did not auto start but when I insert my pin drive it does auto start. I actually "installed" the driver by clicking on the a drive to see the contents and then double clicking on the setup icon.

Let me know if any of that gives you any ideas of something else to try. Sorry something that should be so simple is not...such is technology these days

RocketReu

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Sounds as if the instructions are talking like it is for PS2 Port installation.
What is "native" connector on Receiver - PS2 or USB? And did the box contain a PS2 to USB ADAPTER? or a USB to PS2 ADAPTER?

Also on the Dell Computer are the USB Ports for Keyboard & Mouse - "DEDICATED PORTS" for Keyboard & Mouse?? or can you use any USB Port on PC? And can you swap the Keyboard & Mouse Connectors or are they MARKED as KEYBOARD & MOUSE???

Also you said that you had an ICON show up at bottom right of screen. Left Click to pull down MENU - what re Options? This (I think) should be the PERMISSION to DISCONNECT an I/O USB Device.

Look in [DEVICE MANAGER] and see what shows up under USB Controllers - Expand and see if any YELLOW MARKS show or if the RECEIVER/HUB shows up.

I agree - it appears it is installed - but not communicating - Is the APPLICATION SOFTWARE - [INSTALLED] ???

Go to [CONTROL PANEL] > [INSTALL NEW HARDWARE] & see if anything is found.

It may be that you do not have latest WIN 2000 Driver or its not MS approved for PLUG & PLAY....

What I have a hard time understanding is: - How is it possible to do a [1st time installation] with this device? - It seems to me that it can only be a [Replacement Installation]?? You have to have something already in place.?.

Are you sure Batteries are in correct? There has to be something wrong with a basic hardware function. Is there a PS2 / USB switch on device?

The receiver - in order to be USB/PS2 Compatible has to have circuitry that senses the Port & Self configures to USB or PS2 - otherwise it has to be switched/told.

Is this a British or German device? Is that why I can't find specs on it? I have to cross over the pond & look on the other side???

It is funny . . . how I keep playing "20 Questions" all the time!!! Eventually - I ask the right one

Or is it "Jeopardy" that I am playing - - -Have to match the answer with the right question!!

There has to be something in the FINE PRINT
Jack123

RocketReu

RocketReu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your persistence....we're thinking alike (except you have more knowledge)...

The mouse is a USB mouse with a PS2 adapter. I'm not sure, I'll play again tomorrow, but I don't think the ports are dedicated. I know today I was playing some more by changing "settings" and them putting them back and I actually got it to left click and scroll--I just can't move it to where I want to left click. The buttons work but the pointer won't move.

I can't click on the icon that appears in the bottom right because I can't move the mouse to click on it. I finally put the original, wired mouse in one of the extra USB ports on the back and it works (which is why I don't think the ports are dedicated but I haven't tried the keyboard).
Using the standard mouse, the icon lets me get into the mouse settings like you find in the control panel under mouse.

I did look in the device manager several times today and it is showing the "browser" wireless mouse and the other mouse listed and show both as devices working properly. Both mice make the chime noise when I take them in and out of the USB ports on the back so I know the computer is reading it.

I'll look into trying to tell the mouse I'm in USB...the product was made in China. I couldn't find any information about it either. It is definitely some small, quirky, little something that I have a feeling I will laugh at when we figure it out!

I'll post again Thursday...

Thanks again

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic: Wireless Mouse USB
Date: 11th AUG- 2005

OK – You said Mouse Icon is what is at bottom of screen. And you cannot click on it because you cannot move mouse.

Ok – You need to open this Icon in order to set the properties/Buttons on Mouse.

OK – To do this you will have to use Keyboard to Navigate thru Windows –

OK – Saddle UP & Follow me Kimo Sabe:

– KEYBOARD COMMANDS TO OPEN MOUSE PROPERTIES –

STEP KEY COMBINATION: RESULTING ACTION:

01 [CTRL] + [ESC] Opens: [START MENU]
02 UP / DOWN [ARROW] To SELECT / HIGHLIGHT [PROGRAMS] Button/TAB
03 [ENTER] Press [ENTER] to select Programs List

04 UP / DOWN [ARROW] To Select / Highlight: [WIRELESS MOUSE]
05 [ENTER] Press [ENTER] to SELECT / OPEN : [MOUSE PROPERTIES]

OK – Still with me!! – Here are the BASIC WINDOWS KEYBOARDING COMMANDS – This is
from the GOOD OLE DAYS of:
– IRQ CONFLICTS and DRIVER CONFLICTS using COM PORTS –

KEY BOARD BASIC COMMANDS TO NAVIGATE MOUSE PROPERTIES

STEP KEY COMBINATION RESULTING ACTION

01 [CTRL] + [TAB] MOVES THROUGH PROPERTY TABS –(CW]
02 [CTRL] + [SHIFT] + [TAB] MOVES THROUGH PROPERTY TABS –(CCW)

03 [TAB] MOVES THRU SUB PROPERTY TABS – (CW)
04 [SHIFT] + [TAB] MOVES THRU SUB PROPERTY TABS – [CCW)

05 [UP / DOWN] [ARROW] CHOICE SELECTS
06 [LEFT/RIGHT] [ARROW] CHOICE SELECTS

07 [ENTER] SELECTS
08 [ESC] CANCEL

Will Post more Keyboard Commands later – Wanted to get this to you before you gave up-
I am reading up on wireless installation methods – may have an easier method, but this might do. I am guessing that you know the settings that you want.?.?

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 11 August 2005 - 09:07 PM.