Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI express x16 video cards

• Please log in to reply

Flojo

Flojo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just got finished building a new computer for the first time and everything works well except for the fact that i have pcie slots and i being very stupid bought an agp video card. My question is what video card would you recommend getting? I am going to do some gaming like counter strike source, tom clancys rainbow six 3, splinter cell, need for speed underground2, half life 2, halo, battlefield 2 and other games as such. I just want to be able to play them without lag. That is my only concern. THat being said is there a specific card anyone would recommend for this type of gameplay. any advice appreciated!
Thanks

My system specs are as follows
asus a8n sli deluxe mobo
2 gigs corsair xms ram
amd 64 3500+ venice core processor
40gb sata hd
250 sata hd

Advertisements

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
i would say from the Nvidia geforce 6600gt-6800-7800 depending on how big your wollad

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
considering your MOBO is SLi ready, go Nvidia definitely... and like RogueComGeek said... Depending upon how big your wallet is, is what you should get. I had a low budget.. and I got a 6600 GT pci-e and I run CS:S, BF2, Halo, HL2, Star Wars Battlefront, and a bunch of other games.. all on high(except for BF2.. that's at med-high graphics.. still looks amazing) 1024x768 with no lag.
but ifyou have the money, plan for the future and get a 6800gt or even the new 7800s...mmm.. haha.

Edited by killingalchemy, 06 August 2005 - 05:36 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you are on a budget get a x800 same price as a 6600GT(here at least) and plays bf2 on highest settings. Unless you do sli now with a pair of 6800GTs i wouldnt reccomend trying it down the line.

Edited by warriorscot, 06 August 2005 - 05:39 AM.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
i know for sure that my x600xt can support those games..i have a tried counter-strike and doom3.

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
hardocp- shader 2.0/3.0
kinda intersting article about what shaders are about and the current status of the market using shaders

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The article was old, was talking about atis next gen as in the r4xxx cores.

Flojo

Flojo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I just bought an eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card off of newegg. Thanks for all of your input and help, I greatly appreciate it!! Will let you know how everything turns out.
Thanks
Flo