Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Randomly Shuts Off

• Please log in to reply

Elementzz

Elementzz

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Since last night my computer randomly shuts off every ten minutes or so. My computer is a Windows ME and is quite old. I downloaded MBM5 and it says my temp is 32F. I think the problem is overheating or the ram, but Im clueless when it comes to computers.

Advertisements

TheShadow_FL

TheShadow_FL

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Elementzz,
Could that possibly have been 32C? Because 32F is the freezing point of water,,, that's awfully cool for a computers innards. :tazz: ;)

Does your 'puter shut down normally, or just turn OFF?
Then, does it automaticly run Scandisk when you restart it?

Yes ME machines are starting to get OLD. Many of the internal components are at or reaching their life expectancy. (four to five years).

If you want to keep, and keep using that PC, I'd change out the power supply and of course the CMOS battery. You can do both for less than $40.

More info please,
Shadow :)

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm sure it said 32F but I think I messed MBM5 up. Anyway, my comp just shuts off. When I turn it back on Scandisk starts automatically (Improper shut down). My comp is almost six years old now. :tazz:

Edited by Elementzz, 06 August 2005 - 06:53 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Given the symptoms I would say open the box and clean the CPU cooler very thoroughly, and leave the cover off so you can check whether the fan is running right. I'm on a machine now which is the same age as yours and the cooling fan wasn't working. Same symptoms, and a few more problems too. All OK now, with a new fan, a reinstallation of Windows, a BIOS upgrade and new chipset drivers..

Elementzz

Elementzz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I cleaned it out the best that I could and the fan is working. My computer hasnt shut off yet so Ill let you know how it turned out tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.