Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Geforce 6600 and White lines

• Please log in to reply

Taggert

Taggert

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Geforce 4 6600 made by Gigabyte in computer running a AMD 3600 processer(2.2 gigahertz) and 512 RAM. I have Windows XP Media Center. After installing the card I noticed that in most but not all my of my games have these strange white lines appearing on buttons in the games menus and on various parts of the screen. This is only on games. Also some graphical glitches appear on the character models in the FEAR demo that I played. The game ran fine, but it installed some new DirectX drivers which may have FUBAR'd the game, I don't know. Anyway the lines really piss me off, what are they and can I fix them? Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Have you updated your Video Card's Drivers?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I am confused amd dont make a 3600 or a geforce 4 6600 and if it is a geforce4 it wont play fear, if it is a vanilla 6600 it wont play it on high so lower the settings. to get rid of artifacing you should install the latest drivers from nvidia and/or if you overclocked the card set it back to default.

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

I am confused amd dont make a 3600 or a geforce 4 6600 and if it is a geforce4 it wont play fear, if it is a vanilla 6600 it wont play it on high so lower the settings. to get rid of artifacing you should install the latest drivers from nvidia and/or if you overclocked the card set it back to default.

View Post

perhaps he meant 3500+ or 3700+ both come in 2.2GHz.

and some people refer to 6600 GTs as "6600"

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
they also make it in a plain 6600 variety and neither would play fear at high settings.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
i have a 6600GT, it plays bf 2 at the highest settings glitchless, do/have you played BF2? iv only used it without anti alaising mind you. Also, i havnt had any problems, but mine is a MSI distribution of the card. if every driver is up to date, try DX diagnostic. If your using xp, its in system information and inside the pull down menu called tools.

Also, my amd 3200+ runs at 2.2ghz, but its the 32bit barton core.

Taggert

Taggert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Its a plain 6600 with 256 RAM and I play FEAR at the medium settings which is what the game automatically detects and sets to. I also have played BF2 and it ran fine on medium as well, with no lines. A rare exception, as Half life 2 runs fine but with some lines appearing. Also, in FEAR, the smoke has lines floating in it. Any thoughts?

Edited by Taggert, 06 August 2005 - 06:15 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Did you try getting the latest drivers and makng sure the card doesnt need any exrta power( i doubt this but you never know if it does very should be a port on card for the power connection.) Also whats your power supply isze it should be over 350W for that system minimum.

Taggert

Taggert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, its got a connectoin on it for a power plug and I hooked it up to the power supply. As for my power supply, its 250 watt, I read the label on the box right. Why does that matter? And yes, I have the latest drivers (72.14) from Nvidia.

Edited by Taggert, 06 August 2005 - 08:48 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Those arent the latest drivers and i think your power supply is too small, in fact i dont think it is far too small you are looking at needing about 400W minimum from a non generic PSU for that system. When you dont havce enough power getting to your system then hardware starts to act up as yours is. Did you build it yourself or was the pc bought.

Taggert

Taggert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I bought the PC refurbished from Frys. Since then I've replaced the Harddrive and the graphics card. I'm going to get a gig of RAM next and I guess a better power supply is a good idea too. Why does the lack of power cause the graphics to go funky? That just seems wierd to me. Also, I went to the Nvidia homepage and 72.14 is the latest for my Operating system, where are the latest ones you guys are talking about? Thanks for the help.

Edited by Taggert, 06 August 2005 - 06:39 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
77 something are the newest ones, as far as i know although since you have media centre maybe it is all you ca get i read MCE was a real pain for drivers. Well if it lacks enough energy to function properly then it wont function properly its pretty simple its the same when a person goes to long without food there brain stops to work properly. But a new psu would be a good idea im surprised they sold you a computer with a psu that small it must have been just barely able to run the system when you got it.

Taggert

Taggert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah, the guys at Frys were dicks. I'm surprised that they didn't kick me in the [bleep] on the way out. But I'll still shop there for there crazy low prices. Thanks alot for all the help, I'll just get the newest drivers and a bigger power supply. Hopefully that'll do it. Thanks again :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That should fix it come back if it doesnt just post back and well see what else we can do, you need a new PSU anyway i cant believe they actually sold it with a 250W work it out on http://www.jscustomp...m/power_supply/ and you will see you should need more, and thats just baseline if you have a perfect psu with good amps you need another 50W minimum on top of that for the fact that psus arent perfect and dont output always what they tell you they do.